Intense exercise works

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lymeinside, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lymeinside

lymeinside Well-Known Member

I highly suggest trying it if you haven't. Do some intense exercising; weight lifting, jogging for a long distance, aerobics, sports, etc. I've been doing 20-30 minutes on an exercise bike, then going into body weights (situps, chinups, pushups, whatever). I feel completely worn out and tired, sweaty after, but it feels fantastic. For a while afterwards, the depression is almost completely gone. Its sometimes hard to get the motivation to start, but its worth it.
  2. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Even mild exercise is helpful - I always feel better after taking my dog for a walk for a half hour or so. No running, just a leisurely stroll around the block. It helps, and especially so if the sun is out!:smile:

3. blub

blub Guest

Yeah when you exercise more, you will feel better. Because your brain makes this fluent or whatever it is, that gives you a satisfied happy feeling. And when you exercise more, you dont need that much of this. So that will make you happier. I
  4. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

exercise releases endorphins which are the "happy chemicals" found in chocolate
  5. Wait...eating chocolate releases happy chemicals?! :blink:
  6. FlipsycKill

FlipsycKill Active Member

Yup right on it does work I noticed that I don't feel as sad as much as I used to about a month ago because of weight lifting, biking, and doing other excercises intensely even if it does cause pain I think its worth it and is worth trying.:smile:
  7. I agree. I just joined a local gym :showoff: after a lay-off of about 10 months. My muscles hurt !!!
  8. blackfire

blackfire Well-Known Member

it is proven that exercise helps reduce stress and is good for the depressed. it helps cheer them up. i usually run when i feel depressed it makes me feel better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.