intentionally triggering yourself

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by emily83, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

sorry if this has been asked in another thread, but i don't see it.

does anyone else intentionally trigger themselves just to be sure they are alive?

i do this all the time when i'm feeling at my lowest

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I think this is very very common. A song we love that we know makes a feel like crap and worse so we play it over and over and then say we can't help it.... a random thought that we dive into a set of downward spiral memories on purpose .. the expression "are't happy unless you are miserable" came about for a reason. I think we can and do make the decision to trigger ourselves very regularly. Makes sense if you think about it - people spend gazillions on alcohol every year- a depressant - because they like the way it feels , this is simply a way to do the same thing for less money without the hang over....

3. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

interesting thoughts..... thanks for sharing. yes i think you've got a good point

4. MsBookLover

MsBookLover Member

NYJmpMaster, I agree with everything you said. It's normal to do this type of thing. Whatever "normal" is. Lol as for me I'll use a dental thing because it's what I know. Have you ever had a tooth that hurt or you bit your tongue? Ever notice how u just can't leave it alone if u know it's there? I think this is the same thing. You know what the trigger is, so u know you have the power to effect change. And u just want to feel it to check yourself. I get it. I think a lot of people here do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.