Interested in knowing

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by dave95, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave95

dave95 New Member

I suffer from depression and social anxiety sprinkled with paranoia. How do you deal with your afflictions?

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I can't say I really deal with most of my problems in healthy ways, though there are some hobbies I enjoy, such as writing, reading, drawing, watching movies, etc. Is there anything you like to do? Are there ways you can distract yourself from bad feelings?

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Welcome to SF.
    I think everybody has their own ways of dealing with challenges, whether they be from personal situation or from mental/physical issues (often a combination of 2 or more you will find here).

As mentioned, distractions of any type can help in the short term for a temporary crisis period to pass. Read, music, art, movies, hobby, a walk etc. can help you put some time and perspective on things to make them bearable for a moment. For actually getting better something usually needs to be done on a more permanent level - be it a change in outlook, change in physical location, getting a new skill or skill set. Lacking the actual change the distractions over time simply become an avoidance mechanism - so I guess my question is What is your question? How to deal with a crisis situation to get through it to a place where you can think and breathe again or how to deal with your affliction over the long term to try to get more time and space in between the crisis situations?

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Dave and welcome to the site. Personally, I have learned to deal with them through medications decreasing my social anxiety but at the moment I am coming down off those meds and its like learning to walk again. I have to take the steps slowly and be around people I am comfortable to be around to start off with. Slowly build up confidence and self esteem.

As for the depression ~ I have mainly overcame my depression by positive thinking, medication and therapy(specific therapy for suicidal thoughts), it has worked out well, in the past few weeks I have been able to come off my two anti depressants and I am feeling quite good without them.

How are you currently dealing with yours Dave?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.