Interesting Article on Suicide

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by DannyBoy, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Well-Known Member

2. Well-Known Member

I love reading about suicide. It's calming to me when I'm in panic mode.
  3. Chaddiwicker

Chaddiwicker Well-Known Member

I see elements of myself in both 5 and 6, but haven't quite gotten to the "fearlessness" part.
  4. DannyBoy

The part that talks about how time slows down and it's surprising how little time passes struck a chord with me.

That exact thing happened to me a couple months ago and it really caused me anxiety.
  5. crimsonangel

crimsonangel Member

I'm with you on that part.

I really should show this article to my family and friends, so that they can see what it's like to go through this, yet still fight yourself to stay alive.

Thank you for sharing!:yay:
  6. Waterfall55

Waterfall55 Well-Known Member

Interesting - thanks for posting it.
  7. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

There is good information there. The breaking down of concrete parts of life into small parts is real. For me, I snapped when the recent worsening elements of trying to get help for my kid and the response of one school psychologist "sentenced" me when he said they would not help. It was at that time that dying felt like the most natural thing to do.

I'm still angry at those people. I still keep things simple, but I'm passed the "sentence" of being condemned to continue that specific struggle.

That stuff still hurts but I don't nurture the hurt of events. Things happen to bring stuff up, triggers, but not too often.

I practice 24 hour living that I learned in AA. God is real in my life and he has done things for me that other human beings can't be bothered with.

Just for today, I'm crocheting a scarf, surfing the web, and I even cleaned the potty patch that the dogs use. I'm not totally useless.
  8. Oloriel

Oloriel Well-Known Member

Interesting article indeed - sparked some thoughtful moments. I feel foolish in that sometimes I need affirmation that I really am suicidal, like I am afraid I'm just mishandling my situation and I don't actually have the right to feel the way I do. I don't know, maybe that sounds stupid. But I felt a lot of connections to this article. Thank you for sharing.
  9. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

Fascinating article, thanks so much for providing the link.
    The more we can learn about our individual conditions, the better we are able to fight them. Knowledge is power!
  10. nobody man

nobody man Well-Known Member

Boy... step 2 was spot on for me. And I think the only reason I'm still here is because I've never had step 6. But step 5! I always thought I was just horrible at guessing the time! Haha...
  11. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Excellent article - can't stop reading!
  12. NaomiP

NaomiP Member

Interesting and insightful article...found it fascinating read. I've always wanted to be someone else so it makes sense.

(Florida State University psychologist Roy Baumeister in his 1990 Psychological Review article,)“Suicide as Escape from the Self.”
  13. DannyBoy

Ya it was one of the better articles I've read on it.

There was also one from a Christian site that basically when through all the thoughts that go through your head and it was spot on, I'll see if I can find it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.