interesting article

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by NYJmpMaster, Jul 13, 2013.

1. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/07July/Pages/Prozac-nation-claim-as-antidepressant-use-soars.aspx

Read the whole story but it was a decent summary there in what I found in numerous places relating to risks of medications and the talk of medications inducing suicides (which if you read the actual referenced things it is less than 1/ 100,000 that experience the increased risk - it is widely discussed as it is such a huge risk and should not be overlooked- but also incredibly rare and only exhibited in young adults and teens...

Not advocating for meds so much as saying look at them realistically...

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

It is critical to know the potential side effects of any medication...that does not mean that the medication should not be taken...in all of life we must balance the benefits and the risks of all we do (e.g. driving a car; taking an airplane); knowing the risks allows us to be watchful

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Absolutely true as I have personal experience from a very unpleasant little known side effect of a medication I was on. Get all the information possible however to make decisions as opposed "headline hunting" them then make the best choice for yourself from a place of knowledge.

4. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

mental illness is like the only illness people hesitate to treat. If you have a heart problem people don't hesitate one instant in taking the meds, but the moment your brain is sick, you're not sure. People will say well meds changed me, well of course it changed you, that's what they are for. They fill in what's missing, and wasn't it what we wanted, to change the sadness, depression and other mental illness so that we feel better?

idk...just my thought on the subject...