Intermittent Fasting

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Yeah, I just did a quick google and there's also a lot more 'noise'. Careful sifting coupled with everything you already know about food and nutrition is mandatory. Here's an excellent site I use to get basic information about nutrition in different foods:

http://www.whfoods.com/index.php
I've often used this site. Been reading it on and off for years, must have a look at it again today, thanks for the reminder of this great site.

I would skew the diet towards more protein/less carbs in the first meal and the opposite in the second, more carbs/less protein. More carbs in the last meal before the fast is good because the body will be breaking it down longer and getting energy from it for a longer period of time.
Thanks- I will take your advice and see how things pan out, I will eat less yogurt and more eggs. I had boiled eggs for my first meal today with wholemeal toast and one yogurt and a banana. I'm still thinking about dinner. I'm thinking a baked potato with an omelette with low fat cheese on top with cherry tomatoes and ham and some pineapple to get all my nutrients. Sound good? Hope you see this before 5 :P

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Sorry if I missed this but can I ask how much have you lost through Intermittent Fasting and over how long a period?

@HumanExMachina
I've lost a lot of weight but I don't have a number for you because I've refused to weigh myself for years now. The way my body feels is a much better and more reliable indicator of how I'm doing than a number generated by some gizmo. Also the way my clothes fit. I've gone down at least two pants sizes (the clothes sizing isn't very consistent in this country). It's been around three years since I adopted IF as a lifestyle.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I've lost a lot of weight but I don't have a number for you because I've refused to weigh myself for years now. The way my body feels is a much better and more reliable indicator of how I'm doing than a number generated by some gizmo. Also the way my clothes fit. I've gone down at least two pants sizes (the clothes sizing isn't very consistent in this country). It's been around three years since I adopted IF as a lifestyle.
That is brilliant to hear. Delighted for you :) Can't wait til i'm down 2 sizes :) Thanks for the motivation.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi Petal Hope you're getting some sleep there?
Its 6:15 here and breakfast seems like a long way off - 6:30! OK Im starting IF again later in week.
tc
Hi Bob :) I woke early today around 4-ish but slept a good bit :)

I'm finding i'm not very hungry on this IF lifestyle so the eating times don't bother me really, why are you starting later in week?

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
I do apologise for the million and one questions :p
I don't mind at all, it's fine. Nowhere near my limit, which is 4 million and sixty-two:)
Do you exercise? If so, please do elaborate :)
I get all of my exercise at work Monday to Friday, which mostly involves walking and lots of upper body and occasional heavy lifting. The first thing I do when I get to work is eat my main meal of the day, which is good because then it goes to muscle building and doesn't go to fat storage. Weekends I do as little exercise as possible, my old bones need those two days for rest.
What do you eat on an average day?
The first meal M-F is always more or less the same: Rice, whatever the meat dish of the day is, some veggies from the salad bar, and a few dollops of tzatziki or hummus, sometimes both. The second meal could be literally anything and it's not as important as the first one, or as big. Just something quick and easy before I crawl off to bed.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thank you so much, thanks for the reminder that the evening meal should be smaller than the first one. That is a good tip :)

I would love to do more exercise but find it hard to do, will wait until I lose more weight perhaps.

I appreciate you helping me so much. You're a gem.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Argh...I am after eating 500 calories of chocolate and a baked potato with cheese. Really annoyed with myself, that can be my dinner as im still within the eating window.

S.O.S @ @HumanExMachina Help, help get me on the right track, this is my first major mishap.

Last edited:

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Argh...I am after eating 500 calories of chocolate and a baked potato with cheese. Really annoyed with myself, that can be my dinner as im still within the eating window.

S.O.S @ @HumanExMachina Help, help get me on the right track, this is my first major mishap.
If it's within the eating window, then it's not so bad. Was that after brekkies but before your dinnertime? If you're just going to call that your dinner, sure, it's not bean sprouts and kale, but it's fine, Petal. Just start the fast at the usual time, and tomorrow is another day:)

bobbob

SF Supporter
9:10 and no breakfast yet. And looking at state of kitchen, washing up clean bowl for breakfast could take me to 10:00 am. so discounting middle of the night egg (and maybe it was a dream anyways), it will be 15 hours fasting which will be best so far for me I think.
But time has slowed right down, and each tick of the clock seems to scream breakfast.

Yellowmellow

Just a word of caution with this... I started this years ago. It went really well at first. Then it became a challenge to see how long I could starve myself. I pushed to starve as much as I could. In the end it became an eating disorder. I personally think portion control is a much better option.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Just a word of caution with this... I started this years ago. It went really well at first. Then it became a challenge to see how long I could starve myself. I pushed to starve as much as I could. In the end it became an eating disorder. I personally think portion control is a much better option.
Yellow, literally anything can turn into a disorder if not handled correctly. For me, there's nothing dangerous about skipping one meal a day.

Yellowmellow

I know not everyone is the same, and handled correctly this is great.
I suppose I’m just making people aware that if you feel yourself overdoing it, or obsessing or feeling bad for eating when you eat, then it’s a sign to change back to what your original goal was. If you started with skipping 1 meal per day, and are now having only 1 meal per day, one every two days, then it’s time to review and get back to just skipping only the one meal per day.
Mine became a disorder because I didn’t stop and review and in the end I was starving myself for as much as 3 days.
I suppose all I’m saying is set your goal and stick to it.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
I know not everyone is the same, and handled correctly this is great.
I suppose I’m just making people aware that if you feel yourself overdoing it, or obsessing or feeling bad for eating when you eat, then it’s a sign to change back to what your original goal was. If you started with skipping 1 meal per day, and are now having only 1 meal per day, one every two days, then it’s time to review and get back to just skipping only the one meal per day.
Mine became a disorder because I didn’t stop and review and in the end I was starving myself for as much as 3 days.
I suppose all I’m saying is set your goal and stick to it.
Yellow, sorry if I was abrupt in my reply, I was late and had to take a running dive into the shower or I'd miss my bus. What you said above is right, if you develop an IF strategy that works and you stick with it, you'll be fine.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00