Internal Rage Induced by Little Things/Foot Phobia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I've always had a variety of problems, covering a pretty wide swath of the spectrum, but I've dealt with them pretty well, if I do so say myself. However, recently (staring about a year ago) I've had a new problem that's getting to unbearable levels.

Certain, well defined but unrelated things just set me off. For instance, groups of people yelling in a certain manner, IE like when there's an emergency or cops yelling on TV. It makes me tense up and get all panicy, and sometimes even want to attack the source of my discomfort.

The worst, offender, however, is when my parents sit on the couch and my dad massages my mom's foot. For one, the noise of skin on skin rubbing just makes me fly off the handle. The mere act also just disgusts me for some reason and I don't know why.

Some more details: I'm a guy, 20, living at home because I'm in college and can't support myself on my own. I've tried talking with my parents but they just get mad and yell at me, the same response that I always get when talking to them about any problem. I only have about 100 bucks to my name, so I don't think I can set up any appointments anywhere.

I believe the one trigger, the foot thing, has to do with the fact that my own feet had a birth defect and required surgery when I was 10. They're kind of a special area for me, I guess. I used to like the idea of foot rubs and stuff, but ever sense my parents started doing it on a near daily basis I've become disgusted with even myself touching my own feet.

Sadeyes

Staff Alumni
I have some similar problems because I have become very sensitive to senory stimuli...sounds especially...loud yelling, crowds talking, etc. pierces my ears..and causes me to feel so enraged at those (unknowingly) who are doing it...J

I don't get mad at crowds and stuff. I can deal with that by removing myself from the situation in a timely manner. But I suppose it's really the foot problem that annoys me, as my parents have outright told me they don't care if they're causing me problems or not, and make fun of me when I try and get away.

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Im sorry your parents are so ignorant and uncaring to wards you. I hope you soon will be able to graduate and move o ut on your own hugs to you

Indeed, counting down the days is a great way to remain calm, though even baring the bad economy it'll be two more years, discounting something amazing happening (Sometimes they do :smile: )

Madam Mim

I can completely relate to both the foot thing and sensitivity to sound particularly. There are certain things that I just cannot abide and quite literally drive me crazy. My neighbours playing music is one of them, and people eating is another. Being around babies makes me horribly tense and on edge too.

It's so unfair that your parents won't make any effort with regards to this. The very least they could do is let you leave the room in peace, but if it was me, I'd want to do the massaging in a different room to my son anyway, even if it is just feet.

Do they do it at the same time every day? If so, you could designate that time to your studies, giving you a good excuse to leave the room and lock yourself in your bedtoom.

Mim

MLKane

I totally relate to the foot thing, feet creep me out. I can just about deal with my own feet, but I can barely look at other people's. I just have this wave of disgust whenever I see bare feet. a part of my brain is just like "Urg omg they just look live horrible perverted versions of hands, imagine if your hands were like that" *shudder*

if your parents don't care that it bothers you, or even do it to antagonise you, then they're pretty low. I'm not sure how you could deal except to just not be there when they do it, just keep going till you can move out :/ sorry

aoeu

Alright, you've probably got the worst case of hypersensitivity I've ever heard of. I would suggest you take up self-hypnosis and/or meditation. Self-hypnosis can help remove bothersome stimuli from your consciousness, meditation can help calm you down about it.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you a self-hypnosis file and instructions on how to use it.

Meditation doesn't require anything special, it's just focused breathing.

Find a quiet place to sit down, close your eyes.

Inhale through your nose slowly, exhale through your mouth slowly, count 1 in your head.
Repeat, count 2.
Continue until you get to 10.

Then inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale, count 1.
Repeat until you get to 10. Then 3 breaths per count, then 4, etc.

If you lose count or go over 10, start that set over. Do this for 1 minute the first day and increase by 1 minute per day. If you have trouble doing it for the full time, do that length of time until you can do the full thing. Ideally you should be doing it for 30 minutes a day, but meditating for even 5 minutes a day is productive.

What it does: it calms and relaxes you. It also teaches you how to quickly calm and relax yourself. When faced with an overwhelming stimulus, begin meditating and you'll calm down, but they'll be less overwhelming to begin with because it affects you all the time.

The self-hypnosis is priceless as well, you can completely remove sounds, smells and supposedly even sights (I've never had a reason to try that) from your consciousness so you can't even tell if they're there.

I can completely relate to both the foot thing and sensitivity to sound particularly. There are certain things that I just cannot abide and quite literally drive me crazy. My neighbours playing music is one of them, and people eating is another. Being around babies makes me horribly tense and on edge too.

It's so unfair that your parents won't make any effort with regards to this. The very least they could do is let you leave the room in peace, but if it was me, I'd want to do the massaging in a different room to my son anyway, even if it is just feet.

Do they do it at the same time every day? If so, you could designate that time to your studies, giving you a good excuse to leave the room and lock yourself in your bedtoom.

Mim
Well, my computer and everything else I need to study, or to even relax, are out in the living room, where they do the massage. There really isn't anything I could do in my room besides read a book, which admitidly is a fun activity at times, but there's also the problem that the computer is shared, so if I don't use it for my work when they aren't I won't get a turn.

Alright, you've probably got the worst case of hypersensitivity I've ever heard of. I would suggest you take up self-hypnosis and/or meditation. Self-hypnosis can help remove bothersome stimuli from your consciousness, meditation can help calm you down about it.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you a self-hypnosis file and instructions on how to use it.

Meditation doesn't require anything special, it's just focused breathing.

Find a quiet place to sit down, close your eyes.

Inhale through your nose slowly, exhale through your mouth slowly, count 1 in your head.
Repeat, count 2.
Continue until you get to 10.

Then inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale, count 1.
Repeat until you get to 10. Then 3 breaths per count, then 4, etc.

If you lose count or go over 10, start that set over. Do this for 1 minute the first day and increase by 1 minute per day. If you have trouble doing it for the full time, do that length of time until you can do the full thing. Ideally you should be doing it for 30 minutes a day, but meditating for even 5 minutes a day is productive.

What it does: it calms and relaxes you. It also teaches you how to quickly calm and relax yourself. When faced with an overwhelming stimulus, begin meditating and you'll calm down, but they'll be less overwhelming to begin with because it affects you all the time.

The self-hypnosis is priceless as well, you can completely remove sounds, smells and supposedly even sights (I've never had a reason to try that) from your consciousness so you can't even tell if they're there.
I dunno abut meditation. I sort of do something like to try and remain calm, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. While helpful, I'm guessing I hit a dead end there.

I will eagerly take that hypnosis thing, though, as I think I'm actually pretty open to hynosis. I've seen a performing hypnotist a few times at local events and almost got put under just by watching the show. That sounds like a good sign to me :lol!:

I'll send a PM shortly.

aoeu

Actually you probably did get put under. Trances used in clinical hypnosis are indistinguishable from consciousness to ~80% of patients. In show hypnosis they produce a state that's obviously abnormal in the people being hypnotized, but that's not actually valuable to the hypnosis, it's just for show. I had been entranced on a daily basis for about 4 months before I ever found out, my therapist says a clinical trance is simply defined as a state of deep relaxation.

Loud noises just make me sad because I feel so small. I feel really awkward when people close to me eat certain foods then touch my skin right afterward. I think it's because my eating disorders use to be a lot worse and while I've generally gotten over that, I still have memories of how those things use to make me feel so scared.

Just leave the room when they do that if they refuse to listen to you. Maybe they'll see how much it bothers you from your actions. I hope you feel better.

Actually you probably did get put under. Trances used in clinical hypnosis are indistinguishable from consciousness to ~80% of patients. In show hypnosis they produce a state that's obviously abnormal in the people being hypnotized, but that's not actually valuable to the hypnosis, it's just for show. I had been entranced on a daily basis for about 4 months before I ever found out, my therapist says a clinical trance is simply defined as a state of deep relaxation.
Well, he said it might happen, and that if he noticed anyone going under he'd call them up to the stage, so when I felt it come on I kinda snapped myself out of it, as I'd rather watch the show then be a part of it, lol. I guess partially, because he also said we'd all sleep really good that night, and I know I sure did.

Madam Mim

Well, my computer and everything else I need to study, or to even relax, are out in the living room, where they do the massage. There really isn't anything I could do in my room besides read a book, which admitidly is a fun activity at times, but there's also the problem that the computer is shared, so if I don't use it for my work when they aren't I won't get a turn.
That really sucks. If it was me, I would sit myself at the PC while they're massaging, and put some music on really loud. When they complain, use whatever their excuse for massaging in the living room as your excuse too, or just keep repeating that you need the loud music so you don't have to throw up over the disgusting sound of feet.

Sure, it's immature, but it might get your point across a bit. If nothing else it might help you feel better!

Mim

That really sucks. If it was me, I would sit myself at the PC while they're massaging, and put some music on really loud. When they complain, use whatever their excuse for massaging in the living room as your excuse too, or just keep repeating that you need the loud music so you don't have to throw up over the disgusting sound of feet.

Sure, it's immature, but it might get your point across a bit. If nothing else it might help you feel better!

Mim
I generally do, with headphones on, as the speakers don't really work. It's really to just drown them out so I can think a little better. I know they can hear it, but they've never said anything.

aoeu

Abilify is used to treat irritability in autism-spectrum disorders. Maybe you could try that. I'm going to ask my doctor for it next time I see him.

Also, the main cause of hypersensitivity that I know of is ASD so it's possible you have it based on this thread alone (high functioning autism can pass for neurotypical, so you wouldn't necessarily know).

Abilify is used to treat irritability in autism-spectrum disorders. Maybe you could try that. I'm going to ask my doctor for it next time I see him.

Also, the main cause of hypersensitivity that I know of is ASD so it's possible you have it based on this thread alone (high functioning autism can pass for neurotypical, so you wouldn't necessarily know).
I would not be surprised at all. I hate to self diagnose, I'm pretty sure I have OCD at the very least, though I've learned to manage that on my own.

I'm not really familiar with autism beyond the sterotypical cases. I could say I exhibit symptoms, but I really would just be randomly speculating. I feel some pressures, but overall I do seem "normal" to pretty much everyone through practice and some willpower.

Unfortunately, unless any medication is free, it's out of my budget for the time being. Like I said earlier (maybe, I forget) I have about 150-200 buck to my name. I have not been to a doctor of any sort, besides a dentist), for over 10 years because "we can't afford it" and have no insurance. While money is indeed tight I'm increasingly thinking my parents just don't want to spend any money on health care (through college applications I've seen most of our financial information, so...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00