Internet Depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by boo, Nov 5, 2009.

?

Internet Depression. Multi choice allowed

1. No way! I'm happy, well adjusted surfer.

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Sometimes. After being online I feel "empty."

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Always. Being online leaves me moody and cranky.

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Doesn't matter. I was depressed before I turned on the computer.

24 vote(s)
    60.0%
  5. Do I have a choice? Only through the net can I socialized.

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. What was the question again? To hell with researchers!

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Researchers tell us that more time online equals more depression. Does this ring true for you?
    Poll coming up.

2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I'm 52 and I have been around way before the internet came along. I disagree with the statement. I have been depressed for many, many years. Before the internet, I read tons of books and hid in my room. I also hid from people behind small tasks, like washing the dishes. Things like that can make it look like someone does not have depression. It is a disease that can be hid.

3. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised if there's a high correlation, but I'm pretty doubtful that there's a cause-and-effect relationship. Most likely, it has more to do with depressives being more prone to social anxiety (and thus attracted to the anonymity of the internet), coupled with a lack of energy to leave the house and spend one's time elsewhere (web surfing is a convenient, undemanding activity that most people can do from the comfort of their homes).

At least that's my guess, judging from personal experience as a self-admitted web junkie.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

No way! I'm happy, well adjusted surfer. :)

5. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

I surf so well on the net that I'm going to Australia next summer to try the real thing :)

6. Sad Rabbit

Sad Rabbit Account Closed

Quite possibly true in my case. I come to SF for various reasons and more often than not, I come off feeling worse/neglected/or something else.

Why do I come here? Boredom. Nothing else to do or look at. And a little bit of hope that I will find someone I can talk to and perhaps understand me a little.

7. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I come to the chat because I need some sort of human interaction each day.

Besides, all I do is stay in my room anyway.

8. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

"What was the question again? To hell with researchers!"

9. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

I was depressed before.

10. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Yeah, it does leave me more depressed, because nobody ever talks to me. If I even try to talk to somebody I just get shut out, like I have some disease and they're avoiding me like the plague. But then if I don't come online then I'm not doing much anyway so I'm equally as depressed.

11. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

Doesn't matter. I was depressed before I turned on the computer. Hell, I was depressed before there were computers. But do I have a choice? Only through the net can I socialize. I'm too scared of people any longer to go out and try to make friends, or even do normal things any more. Though sometimes, after being online, I feel "empty." Sometimes even angry, when I see the inordinate amount of stupidity out there, which only serves to further my misanthropy, and the cycle begins again.

12. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I see what you did there... and i love it :biggrin:

13. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Mmm, I'm depressed before I even hit the computer...but I wouldn't say I'd have much of a choice...Don't have the most social life here, plus the net gives me the little social interaction that probly keeps me from tipping...:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.