1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by boo, Nov 5, 2009.

?

Internet Depression. Multi choice allowed

1. No way! I'm happy, well adjusted surfer.

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Sometimes. After being online I feel "empty."

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Always. Being online leaves me moody and cranky.

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Doesn't matter. I was depressed before I turned on the computer.

24 vote(s)
    60.0%
  5. Do I have a choice? Only through the net can I socialized.

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. What was the question again? To hell with researchers!

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Researchers tell us that more time online equals more depression. Does this ring true for you?
    Poll coming up.

2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I'm 52 and I have been around way before the internet came along. I disagree with the statement. I have been depressed for many, many years. Before the internet, I read tons of books and hid in my room. I also hid from people behind small tasks, like washing the dishes. Things like that can make it look like someone does not have depression. It is a disease that can be hid.

3. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised if there's a high correlation, but I'm pretty doubtful that there's a cause-and-effect relationship. Most likely, it has more to do with depressives being more prone to social anxiety (and thus attracted to the anonymity of the internet), coupled with a lack of energy to leave the house and spend one's time elsewhere (web surfing is a convenient, undemanding activity that most people can do from the comfort of their homes).

At least that's my guess, judging from personal experience as a self-admitted web junkie.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

No way! I'm happy, well adjusted surfer. :)

5. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

I surf so well on the net that I'm going to Australia next summer to try the real thing :)

6. Sad Rabbit

Sad Rabbit Account Closed

Quite possibly true in my case. I come to SF for various reasons and more often than not, I come off feeling worse/neglected/or something else.

Why do I come here? Boredom. Nothing else to do or look at. And a little bit of hope that I will find someone I can talk to and perhaps understand me a little.

7. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I come to the chat because I need some sort of human interaction each day.

Besides, all I do is stay in my room anyway.

8. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

"What was the question again? To hell with researchers!"

9. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

I was depressed before.

10. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Yeah, it does leave me more depressed, because nobody ever talks to me. If I even try to talk to somebody I just get shut out, like I have some disease and they're avoiding me like the plague. But then if I don't come online then I'm not doing much anyway so I'm equally as depressed.

11. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

Doesn't matter. I was depressed before I turned on the computer. Hell, I was depressed before there were computers. But do I have a choice? Only through the net can I socialize. I'm too scared of people any longer to go out and try to make friends, or even do normal things any more. Though sometimes, after being online, I feel "empty." Sometimes even angry, when I see the inordinate amount of stupidity out there, which only serves to further my misanthropy, and the cycle begins again.

12. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I see what you did there... and i love it :biggrin:

13. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Mmm, I'm depressed before I even hit the computer...but I wouldn't say I'd have much of a choice...Don't have the most social life here, plus the net gives me the little social interaction that probly keeps me from tipping...:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.