Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Dave_N, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Does anyone watch the show Intervention? I've been watching it for a couple of years now and it graphically shows the effects of drugs on people. I watch it as a way of learning about these drugs like heroine, crystal meth and cocaine. After watching so many of these intervention stories, I have no desire to 'experiment' with these hard drugs. They damage your brain and body. I might try marajuana some day though, as it doesn't seem that bad.
  2. danni

danni Chat Buddy

yea i watch it every monday when it comes on,it really show the real infect of drugs. And show how the family is try to help them out.
  3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I've seen a bunch of those. Great show :)
  4. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

It's one of my favourite shows, but you can't help but feel sorry for the addicts.
  5. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

I've seen it. It's not avalable here in the UK on TV but it is on youtube. The person who uploads it had her channel deleted before so I'm not posting links. However if you want to know who they are and where the vids are PM me.
  6. purplefizz

purplefizz Senior Member

That's one of my favorite shows. I also feel bad for the addicts.
  7. JustSam

JustSam Well-Known Member

i cant watch that show, but i do think its a good one

o and dave, i wouldnt try marijuana
    it may not seem bad, but it can be horrible
  8. HexenBexen

HexenBexen Well-Known Member

I'm totally addicted to Intervention. I don't really have much sympathy for addicts but the stories about how they got there are usually so sad, my heart goes out to their loved ones.
  9. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I've leard so much about addiction from watching intervention. I know I'll never try crystal meth after seeing how it rots your teeth away and just messes people up.
  10. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Ohh...those guys make me so mad. Making it look like substance abuse is a bad thing.

I could never use hard drugs like crack or meth...I'm terrified of my teeth falling out. For a while I was interested in doing heroine. It seemed like the nifty thing in self-destructive habits, but then I found alcohol and was like, "This is pretty grand." I've never regretted the decision since.
  11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I think I saw an episode, I thought it was sanctimonious crap. I think they had a few episodes here in the UK a few years ago? But it was the whole tone of the show that made me angry.

I think I remember one of them. It was the family, the family being so fucked up and unwilling to look at themselves, and saying they were 'helping' and that they cared when obviously they/and the people around in general were one of the main reasons someone had reached a crisis stage ?

I mean, the person suffering isn't going to be bringing up subjects of rape, molestation, and child abuse on tv- it was all, there's a Sick person in the family, and the family needs to educate themselves to stop the Sick person carrying on their behaviour rather than looking at themselves.

It all follows the same trend of programmes like , supernanny, how to clean your house, how to look after your dog, how to eat Healthily, how to stop being Fat, how to wear your fucking dress in a way that makes you look Good, but in this case it's about taking someone extremely vulnerable and desperate and making a show out of it all and after the cameras leave, nobody cares.

Wonder if they'll do a tv programme on the 'compulsive trend' of these programmes they put out and what everybody out there is hungry for. I'm looking at AIR's website- " It provides immediate solutions to the families’ immediate problems " (a lot like short term relief, superficial, maybe a lot like a drug?) to 'educate the masses'.

I love this. :dry: Maybe,'s because it's how you wanted them to view the show?
  12. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

And substance abuse is a good thing? :unsure:
  13. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Just being facetious. We all know, real addiction is only good if you're in a Scott Fitzgerald novel. And then only if you have a fireplace in which to throw something that is your life's passion into the flames while screaming, "Don't look at me! I'm a failure!"

Otherwise it's best to get control.
  14. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

I was on ritalin and i am not going back to drugs.
  15. xpsyuvz

xpsyuvz Active Member

I've enjoyed the show, but one hour seems to be rather long.
    Now, I'll usually watch the first part -- that's when they mention how much the abuser consumes (e.g. wow, half a gallon of vodka per day?). Then I'll watch the last few minutes to see if they agreed to go to rehab and if it was successful.
    Personally, I'd take any offer for rehab, but there's no way I could afford it. Plus, when I imagine an intervention with myself, there would be no one there but me. (I prefer to be a loner, though.) Meanwhile, usually the addicts on the show seem very resistant to such an offer.

I remember one episode where it mentioned the alcoholic died a few months after the filming and his rehab. (Kind of an eye-opener.)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.