Intervention

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by PandorasToybox, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

Intervention for Threats On This Website

Side Note: Got my blood levels done today for my liver ... still going to go see the counselor though hopefully tomorrow or wednesday.

Umm ok have to ask ... when people on here write big things that can be a HUGE cause for concern like ... if someone DID say "I have a .22 & I'm going to kill myself right now" or "I'm going to go *insert here* & kill a bunch of people"...does that ever cause concern on this website... & I mean beyond the fact that obviously we're all going to be concerned ... but does anybody ever think at some point that person needs to be reported? I know some websites can track a persons location via the persons IP number ... & I dont mean everytime someone threatens suicide, because obviously we all here kind of express our frustrations.

But is there ever a point where some sort of intervention is needed? Look at all those web suicides where people actually cam it while they're doing it & nobody says or does anything until its too late..

Just thought I would throw this out there ... if it's not 100% clear what I'm saying it probably has to do with the fact that a) Its 1am & I'm tired & b) Im flippin hungry!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2009
  2. PandorasToybox

ps. I hope I dont offend anyone or make them uncomfortable

3. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I definitely think once it gets to that point, where they are no longer just a threat to themselves but a threat to others, it's time to report it yes.

4. PandorasToybox

I think even if people start making BIG serious suicidal threats to themselves & threats against others then its time to do something. I mean obviously we can generally tell who's serious & who's not as serious (keeping in mind all threats should be considered serious). We can't just choose to "save" others from them & not save them from themselves.

5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It is a concern especially when they threaten to kill innocent people I would think a psych doctor needs to intervene somehow.

6. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Re: Intervention for Threats On This Website

With regards to SF, this was brought up in the past, and resulted in some quite heated debate.. Basically, the staff's position is that we don't report anyone who's got suicidal intentions (otherwise what would the point of this forum), however, if someone was attempting right here and now, and a staff member reported them to the authorities, it wouldn't be done through their staff role, it would be because they're a friend, and that they care for them. Likewise, if a member reports to the authorities that X is attempting now, then it's because they care, not because of any legal obligation to.

The legal aspect of this (Robin, correct me if I'm wrong!), is that we have to report incidents where threats have been made against another person - for example "I'm going to kill my neighbour" / "I'm going to shoot my class at school". That's our legal obligation - it would be illegal if we didn't.
    In the past, we have reported such threats to the authorities - chat logs and IP addresses and whatnot have been taken, and incidents have been investigated - luckily, this is once in a blue moon though.

Hope this helps you out with this :)

7. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Re: Intervention for Threats On This Website

Quote:
    If someone was attempting right here and now, and a staff member reported them to the authorities, it wouldn't be done through their staff role, it would be because they're a friend, and that they care for them.

Agreed, that's how the staff on my site handles it too. But like Abacus said, we do have legal obligations to report a situation where someone is specifically threatening to harm another person or group of people.

8. PandorasToybox

Thanks for answering that: it makes me feel A LOT better. I read one message that contained something like that & I got anxious just thinking about what someone would be capable of doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.