Intolerance has pissed me off once more...

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Syn, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

Okay, so I got a question for ya'll, why do some people have to throw their opinions in your face and attack you if you have even the slightest difference in viewpoints? Like seriously, people will kill each other just because someone believes differently than them? Why? What does it accomplish? Why do people feel the need to hate someone else over some trivial BS when just accepting that other people see the world differently than you causes way less problems and allows them to focus on doing something more productive than trying to tear another person down.

It's not like a person with belief A will gain anything from attacking someone with belief B, it's just a waste of time and effort. Seriously, is the whole world just one giant super dramatic high school or something? Why is anger and violence the first reaction rather than compassion and understanding? Even apathy would be better than anger or violence. Am I missing something here? It's the whole don't judge a book by it's cover thing, only in this case it's don't judge a book by one sentence you don't like, read the whole damn thing, then live the story (Walk in someone else's shoes), and then you can judge... At that point though, you still can't judge because you'll understand why they believe the way they do, or why they did what they did.

Intolerance has got to be one of the biggest things pushing me towards suicide anymore because seriously, who wants to be in a world with a bunch of super dramatic, close-minded hypocrites who are intentionally blind and hateful to the world around them? People just need to realize that there's more than just their side of the damn story...

2. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I agree. This really upsets me a lot too. It really does feel like high school drama. I just try to ignore it the best I can and not let things get to me, but it's hard sometimes. It'd be nice if everyone just got along or at least acted civil to one another.

3. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

'cause to begin with people wanna relate. so they try and make person b see person a's point, very fiercely so.
    then it turns a bit ugly, they forget they wanted to relate and it all comes out wrong mostly, i think
    thus dramas begin and people get hurt

4. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

there are two sides to this though.... there's the thought of intolerance, yes, but there's also opening other people up to options to try because what they've done so far may not have worked to their benefit. (as in, given them a bit more of a chance of living rather than drawing themselves in to the option of su).

Bit of a tricky one for me to really understand though.

5. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

Because for some reason putting other people down (or their beliefs) makes some people feel better about themselves. I agree with you, but there's no point in trying to analyze it or being angry about it, though. People will do what they feel is best, regardless of how stupid and pointless it may be. But by holding on to anger, you're only hurting yourself and technically perpetuating the whole "intolerance" thing in your own way. I've learned to just let people be as stupid and ignorant as they want to be, while I choose to be different.

6. anoriginalthought

anoriginalthought Active Member

This one thread has really helped me. I was feeling really down and then I read this. Im glad im not alone.