Introducing myself

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Ava_E, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ava_E

Ava_E Member

Hi all I've only just registered on here so thought I'd introduce myself! I've been struggling for a while now will low mood. Suicide is something that has crossed my mind from time to time when things have been really hard but it's only been over the last 4 months or so these thoughts have been getting more and more frequent. I'm juggling a lot with family members experiencing mental health issues and me feeling responsible for making sure they're OK. I spend a lot of time pretending I'm alright and not showing my emotions so have started to feel quite numb to things now. I've also gone back to uni and in the final stage of my Msc so this has all come at the same time.

My main reason for joining this site is because I literally have no one I feel I can talk to about this. I feel so alone and as if I don't belong anywhere - I could be with my boyfriend, with friends, at uni, with my family and I always feel disconnected like I'm playing a part and I'm not being me.

Looking forward to talking to others who are going through similar and trying to help others where I can!

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there and welcome to the forum, I am glad you decided to join. You are right - here we do understand and help and support each other to the best of our ability. I am sorry things are going so badly for you. Do you have a diagnosis? Have you seen a professional yet? Good luck with your Msc :)
  3. Ava_E

Ava_E Member

Hey thanks for the reply! No diagnosis as of yet, I've been putting off seeing someone about this which I know is pretty stupid. This is actually the first time I've properly admitted there's a problem - not as terrible as I was thinking it was going to be! I used the counselling service through my uni a couple of times but didn't find it very helpful so I think that's put me off talking to anyone else.
    Petal likes this.
  4. Petal

No giving up hun!! Keep seeking the professional help, that will set you free. You deserve to be happy, not anxious or scared, mental illness is still a taboo subject but it is getting better all the time. I had therapy today, I cried but it was good. It's not shameful to have a mental illness, just go for it, no more putting it off, maybe talking to us on here will help you open up in real life, remember and believe that you CAN do this :)
    Ava_E likes this.
  5. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum! I really hope you find the support you need here on the forum and our chat rooms!

Like Petal said, don't give up on getting some help; because you had a bad experience with one counselor doesn't mean it will all be bad. Not all therapists work with every person. Keep fighting and find someone who fits you.
    You're helping your family, so why not help yourself hun? You deserve that!

Take care of yourself, and more importantly, be kind to you!
  6. Ava_E

Ava_E Member

Thanks both for your help :) I think you're right I probably should get professional help. This is probably a stupid question but I'm guessing GPs can refer you on to counselling services? Or is it best to find one direct?
  7. Petal

Not a stupid question at all hun. I think yes the GP is the best person to refer you, they will do it for you and try and get you the ''best'' one if they feel you need it :) My GP has been brilliant with referrals throughout the years. Best of luck to you.
    Ava_E likes this.
  8. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Hi and welcome to the site. *hug* You definitely aren't alone here.
    Ava_E likes this.
  9. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Life is important and that includes you. The only ones who understand are the ones who struggle everyday with the ideation of the final commitment. You are right, as the only way to get help us through a referral but it depends on your waiting tine factor. Please did not get scared as we are here for YOU. aLike I say to many new members, please take my hand and let's move forward together. Let us guide from this darkness you see into the light. Keep posting and remember one thing, it's ok to cry your eyes as it gels to realise any anguish you feel.
  10. Ava_E

Ava_E Member

Yeah I've heard waiting times can be an issue when going through a GP - part of me thinks it might be helpful even taking that first step of admitting to someone else face to face that I feel like this. This has all been really helpful so far - thanks all for your replies and advice!
  11. CandleLight

CandleLight Well-Known Member

I just want to tell you I care.
    Ava_E likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.