introvert or extravert?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by palmtrees, Jun 1, 2009.

?

Are you an introvert or extravert?

1. Introvert - I prefer being by myself or just a few other people most of the time

68 vote(s)
    88.3%
  2. Extravert - I prefer being around lots of other people most of the time

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. somewhere in between

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palmtrees

palmtrees Well-Known Member

I'm curious how many people here consider themselves introverts or only like having a few close friends, and how many consider themselves extraverts or enjoy talking to a great deal of other people. Supposedly in the U.S. extraverts outnumber introverts by about 70% to 30%, but I'm wondering if suicidal people tend to be more introverted or vice versa.

Also, do you think there is a connection between your introversion/extraversion and your suicidal feelings?

2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

It may not seem like it here...but I'm an introvert, quite shy usually.

3. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

My insecurities make me introverted.

4. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

i wish the world consisted of me and a few girls

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Well-Known Member

I usually like being by myself. Call me a loner.

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Unsure. I've not been around people too much. I think if I had a bit more exposure I could be downright extroverted... But for now, I'm alone and stay in.

7. depleted_soul

depleted_soul Well-Known Member

I'm a complete introvert.

8. Leecy

Leecy Member

Im an introvert and I like it that way.

However I do try to be extroverted at work now and I think I just make a fool of myself - I end up exposing too much of myself to others.

All the problems I have had with my ex husband are probably because i was introverted but I let him in my space. When he hurt me through his flirting and dirty emails or even when he didnt get me a proper engagement ring I never told anyone about it, kept it all in my introverted little world, even hiding it from people that my engagement ring was fake (we could afford something real - Im not being materialistic).

If i had been more extroverted and told my friends and family what he did, like I have told them now, then I would have been out of that relationship years ago instead I have wasted 7 years of my life

9. grinded serenity

grinded serenity Well-Known Member

10. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Introverted beyond belief....

11. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

introvert wish I could like being around people and talking randomly lol but I can't

12. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Definitely an introvert.. I have isolated myself for the last sixteen years.. I don't do people..I have major trust issues..

13. BriGuy

BriGuy Antiquities Friend

All my life, I only had a couple of friends at a time... but at the moment, I have NO real life friends... I mean physically HERE... only the few friends I made here on SF... but I don't know them in person!

I do not think being introverted has ANY effect on my suicidal feelings tho! Because I was not suicidal the first 35 years of my life! I was never truly happy... but not suicidal!

14. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I am a introvert. I can't deal with groups of people. I have to deal with a fairly large group at work and I end up seperating myself from everybody else quite a bit.

15. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

I'm an introvert but i can talk to people.

16. palmtrees

palmtrees Well-Known Member

I guess the conclusion to draw is that people who go to online suicide sites tend to be overwhelmingly introverted. Although that doesn't necessarily mean that suicidal people are more introverted than extraverted. The suicidal extraverts may just not come online much.

17. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I'm an introvert and quite happily so.

18. BriGuy

BriGuy Antiquities Friend

Yeah... most suicidal extroverts are not online... they are out with their 30+ friends... making more friends... they are miserable, but nobody knows it... they pretend everything is just fine... just like we do with our one or two friends... or family... or in some cases just to ourselves!

19. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I'm in the middle. I can socialize well, and it's due to my dissociation. Sometimes I don't really remember it afterwards, or all of it. I like people - I really do, and that's my downfall because I also hate them and don't trust them at the same time. I don't hate all people, just some (like abusers and narcissists and those who hurt others) - but I don't trust anyone. I'm very introverted about myself, though. I'm really good about holding myself in and not getting close or opening up, unless I know a person. Even then sometimes I don't - not completely. When I'm in a large group I get so scared that I shy away and hides - unless I'm on stage! Then I'm fine. So I guess it's the situation.

20. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Most of the time im alone, or with one friend, i have talked about her a lot last year. But this doesnt mean i want to be alone. Sometimes i want to be alone, sometimes with few people, but sometimes i want to be with a lot people around. But waht i want and what i have is completely diferent thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.