Invisible Asians

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by LetItGo, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Something I don't get about my country, and why I think this whole idea of multiculturalism in my neck of the woods is a ROF laugh a minute.

We seem to think, that by allowing several thousand asian migrants to our shores on a yearly basis, we become, as if by "magic" - a multicultural society that celebrates diversity...and blah know the line.

I think its total bs tbh. Absolutely no effort is put into bringing together the diverse groups of people that make up the country these days, absolutely no discussion on the national agenda on how we could improve the uptake of asian languages, no conversation on how we could take advantage of this mix to bring about something really exciting and cool culturally. Chinatown is as sophisticated as it gets. I wonder if we should just shut the gates and stop the illusion tbh.

Observed factoids.

- Virtually no asians in parliament, what 1 exception?
    - Barely any on T.V
    - Barely any in advertising (aside from some billboard advertising)
    - Barely any in documentaries about national life
    - Virtually none in the national sports
    ...and the list goes on.

We need to stop pretending.
  2. Edgar Roni Figaro

Edgar Roni Figaro Well-Known Member

Multiculturalism is a myth. The idea that all groups can coexist equally is a myth. It is human nature that the group with the most people is going to dominate all others. The idea in America that we can have a multicultural society is false.

For all of America's history white Europeans have held the power and kept the stability of America. White Europeans have given up their power in American and in many of their own countries throughout Europe. In the next 50 years we will see American become more and more polarized as hispanics continue to flood the US without the least bit desire to culturally assimilate to the US.

My wife is asian and even she admits that there is no longer a melting pot in America but instead a salad of groups who refuse to merge with others. We are about 20 years away from Yugoslavia here in the US. But most Americans are too fat and lazy, obsessed with TV to give a dam about the fact that their culture is being wiped from the face of the earth. The next 30 years in America are going to be bloody and sad as various groups fight for power since the dominant group in America has decided to give away all its power.
  3. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

I'm not so sure it can't work, my point is that we don't put any effort into it. We seem to be satisfied with the fact we don't go about shooting each other. It could be something great, it could be rather unique in the scheme things, and yet we don't pay any attention to it. The discussion of it, even to make it better, is somehow seen as racism, as taboo. Well a problem can't be rectified until its be noticed, and I doubt (and I could be wildly mistaken) that I'm the only one. It's bullshit. Why isn't this discussion happening? We live on a planet approaching 9 billion in another 20 years. Ethnic groups and cultures are increasingly on the move. Shouldn't we be trying to make it better?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2010
  4. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

As resident of Toronto I'd like to point out the fact our city continues to operate is proof enough you can have a whole whack of different cultures each living together in the same region while maintain their respective cultures but still manage to work just fine.
  5. Edgar Roni Figaro

Edgar Roni Figaro Well-Known Member

Comparing a city to a nation is apples and oranges. Not only that but I would be willing to bet that the census report for Toronto would show that the vast majority of whites, blacks, and asians all live in neighborhoods that are filled with people of their own race. The United States has been drastically changing for the past few decades in a direction that no empire throughout history has survived through. With literally millions of illegal immigrants pouring endlessly over the south western United States who refuse to speak english, refuse to assimilate, and believe that the south west US belongs to them this has nothing to do with people living in harmony with each other.

No empire has ever survived the mass immigration of a certain bloc of people who did not culturally assimilate. America will be no different. People like to believe that diversity makes us stronger, it doesn't. You aren't stronger in a neighborhood where 10 languages and spoken and nobody can communicate with each other.

Diversity is not built into human evolution. The list of scientific studies which show this are overwhelming. We can see it at work in this very country. Americans when they have the chance to, will segregate themselves into their own communities and neighborhoods. Whites will try to live in white neighborhoods, blacks in black neighborhoods, asians in china town or other such asian neighborhoods. People are told that to do so is racist, it is not. It is human nature. People want to be amongst those they feel most comfortable around and science shows that we are most comfortable around people that look similar to us.

Prisons are an even greater example of this. Nearly all prisons are self segregated. It is wired into the human brain and the more people force integration on those that are not comfortable with it, the more tensions will rise.

Found a nice article from your own city confirming this.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2010
  6. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Depends on your definition of "operational" I suppose, and what you consider to be success. I would have thought it meant more than exchanging pleasantries at the Chinese takeaway, but if thats good enough, then thats fine. That's pretty much the extent of it here as far I can tell. Sure, there are exceptions, but I stand by that basic observation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.