Iran explosion at Revolutionary Guards military base

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

12 November 2011 Last updated at 10:16 ET
    Iran explosion at Revolutionary Guards military base

A local resident said the sound of the blast was "deafening"

Seventeen soldiers have been killed in an explosion at a military base near Iran's capital Tehran, officials say

The blast occurred when weapons were being moved inside a Revolutionary Guards depot, a spokesman for the elite unit told state TV.

Windows in nearby buildings were shattered and the blast was heard in central Tehran, 40 km (25 miles) away.

Two hours after the explosion a fire still raged and there were traffic jams on nearby roads, a local reporter said.

The death toll was revised down from an earlier figure released by the Revolutionary Guards of 27.

Local MP Hossein Garousi said "a large part of an ammunition depot exploded," parliament's website reported.

Revolutionary Guards spokesman Ramezan Sharif did not say what had caused the "accident" in the village of Bidganeh, near the city of Karaj.

"Some of the casualties are reported to be in a critical condition," he said.

An emergency worker said that 12 people had been taken to hospital.

Karaj resident Kaveer told the BBC's Newshour programme that the sound was "deafening".

"We were kind of shocked. I just ran out of the house and looked around," he said.

Economic force

An elite military force, the Revolutionary Guard was set up shortly after the 1979 Iranian revolution to defend the country's Islamic system.

It has since become a major military, political and economic force in Iran.

The Revolutionary Guard has been targeted by UN sanctions aimed at pressuring Iran to halt uranium enrichment.

There have been occasional unexplained explosions in Iran before.

Eighteen people were killed in a blast at a Revolutionary Guards base in the north-western Lorestan province in October 2010.

The latest blast comes at a time of heightened tensions over Iran's nuclear ambitions.

The UN's nuclear watchdog the IAEA released a report on Tuesday which, correspondents say, prompted new fears that Iran's nuclear programme has a military objective.

There has also been speculation in Israel's media that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is considering ordering strikes against Iran's nuclear sites, in the hope of stalling or ending its programme.

Iran says its nuclear programme has purely civilian aims.
  2. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

God i hope it's an accident and not some internal uprising or something like that. Too many high tensed people waiting to jump all over anything.
    .. let the assumptions roll out.

"they did it to make their people think we did it"
    "rebels did it, sparking further "cause" and "justification" for us to roll on in and claim Irans unstable"

:( sad to hear about the loss of life
  3. jxdama

jxdama Staff Member Safety & Support

huh? the best thing that could happen would be an uprising to over throw the mullahs
  4. justMe7

wha.. Hmm. Ok, can you explain that one? We would most defiantly go into there at that point.
  5. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Is there any point to this story? There was an explosion in a military base. Things like this happen. Some idiot probably mishandled a mortar shell.

Prinn, you really gotta start talking in other forums, instead of 'reporting' about the most asinine stories in the Soap Box.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2011
  6. justMe7

7. BlueGuitar

BlueGuitar Member

I don't know about anyone else but political squabbling especially when it involves war and death is a trigger for me.

I certainly don't expect the forum to change for me but please be aware that the state of the world is a contributory factor is some peoples distress. Hard as that may be to understand for some.
  8. justMe7

Not trying to jump on anyone, but it is kinda important considering the situation that's going off. It won't go to anything, but it is something to be aware of, to know the crap they put into.

Sorry it's upsetting for you BlueGuitar. I kinda know what you mean. This whole situation is a :S, and people like us(anyone) who really know jack all about what's cracking off, who start attacking eachothers opinons and views.. Helps though to talk about it sometimes to break out some of the assumptions or niavity we have imo.
  9. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

Be better to wait for the facts before people bother speculating me thinks. It's a news headline but what's to talk about?
  10. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Prinn likes to put random headlines up, because she's a conspiracy theorist.
  11. justMe7

Narh, I don't think this ones anything to do with conspiracy. You can make it into that if you want though. This ones more about how the Iranians will take this event in light of the tension between the west/un and them. And vice verca.
  12. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

Well this statement is key for me--A spokesman for the elite force told state television troops were moving munitions at the time.
    Yup it's called an accident and they happen from time to time,sorry
  13. justMe7

^^ Yep, I'm with you on that one.

Some people won't care though, they'll just use it as an excuse to push their own agendas and assumptions.
  14. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

I like Prinn's news update, give me something to talk about, it would be nice if he/she put his/her opinion about it though.

You know, you do have a choice whether to read it or not.

As for the story it does seem like an accident, but it's still unnerving with all the tension going on with the US, the UN and Iran's surrounding countries.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.