irony of having my own advice given back to me

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by kittyD, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

Last night Dev and I went to our nieces high school graduation, that was great, she got three awards.:biggrin:
    But the irony part...we ended up standing with her dad, my ex b-i-l , who spent most of her life estranged from her and her mom.
    In the past two years he has totally quick drinking, straightened his life out, got back to work, new g-f, the whole 9 yards. My ex and I had talked with him for a good 20 years about changing his life, obviously he had to wait til he was ready.
    But now the shoe is on the other foot and I'm the one at the bottom of the barrel. So kindly [unusual enough for him] he told me many of the things we had said to him, about how even working a couple hours a day could make a huge diff in my attitude, etc etc.
    I had to smile at the irony of the situation. We had always had a rocky relationship--in his eyes I took away his brother and drinking buddy --and i resented him for tempting my ex....
    But here he was giving back to me after the tempestuous times we've shared,
    including throwing him off a deck, dumping out of a car on an expressway.
    It made me feel good that still after our divorce that his brothers still care for me, we married young and the first of the family, and we all grew up together...they know that I'm an only with my parents gone and have all told me separately that I'm still family...:smile:
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Life does have a way of providing such irony...I try to remember to make my words sweet, because often times I have to eat them...hoping you are doing better...big hugs, J
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.