Irrational Depression versus Rational Depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Samsara, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samsara

Samsara Well-Known Member

I am clinically depressed. I'm being treated with Lexipro. It helps sooo much.

But I still get really depressed. Things trigger it. It can be a thought or a situation or whatever, but it takes me to bad places. I don't know if the depression is just a habit, like an addiction to the emotion, or if it is like some kind of intellectually based thing, like I just know that the world sucks so logically I should leave it. I dunno, but it's a bummer. The title was kinda fancy, so I hope you weren't expecting more. I just want...words of wisdom on this. Who has experience with being depressed despite your medical treatment? How did you alleviate it? I need the advice. I am tired of pain and anger.
  2. Rachel123

Rachel123 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I have no words of wisdom for you.
    I can tell you that I myself have been on medication for over a year now and have felt that it doesn't help. I got to the point about a month ago where I stopped taking it, Stopped seeing all my doctors and basically said F*** it. I just started up on my meds again a week or so ago...So we'll see what happens...

Sorry I couldn't help you out.
  3. KJAB

KJAB Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I'm on Lexapro too. THINK it helps. Feel good sometimes but loads of triggers and then my day is trouble. Personally my triggers are imminent financial chaos. Sometimes I can put it to the back of my mind. Lots of times I can't. So am I depressed when I can't forget? and ok when I can? these are my constant thoughts. There's nothing I can do about my finances it's just a matter of time before endgame. But I'm hoping the drugs will help me to get through it. Dunno really what I'm saying except I understand your confusion that drugs help sometimes and not others? uuugggg. wandering. Have you (actively) tried Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Or is this sooooo past tense....
  4. tired82

tired82 Well-Known Member

For me it's like watching a train wreck, and there's nothing I can do about it. My doc says I'm logical & rational when it comes to understanding my problems & triggers. But making cognitive changes is really difficult. So I pretty much gave up on having a better life, job, things, etc - can't get disappointed when there's no expectations, or triggering when there are no new triggers I can't handle I suppose.

I think my meds are working somewhat - Pristiq has taken me to this point, and Serequel makes me sleepy so I can function at work. They're not making me giddy, yet I might slip back if I stopped taking them. I guess that's a dependency
  5. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

I believe all clinical depression is primarily illogical, our brains just get wired that way after being depressed for so long these illogical thoughts sound logical. Hence why cognitive therapy can work so well. Keep working at it, I hope you can get some relieft.
  6. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I think the title is perfectly sensible. I think I've suffered from depression that kicks in for no apparent reason whatsoever, then also from sitting around thinking (too much usually) about the state of the world regarding wars, pollution, hunger, etc...

I was on Lexapro for awhile and this was the only long-term anti-depressant that gave me any relief. After awhile, the pdoc kept raising the dosage and I started feeling very uncomfortable with it.

Right now, I seem to be o.k. on the short-term anti-anxieties like xanax. But I'm on about 2-4 mg a day, which is quite a bit from what I understand. Anyway, it works, so I don't plan on changing anything right now.
  7. Samsara

Samsara Well-Known Member

Ya the Lexipro for the most part keeps me from going down for no reason...but I still trigger when I think to much. Cuz I'm more of a compulsive worrier than a's a cycle too lol...But I'm just glad the medicine works :)
  8. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I don't usually reply to threads involving medications because my experience with meds isn't that great. They don't do a thing for me and I usually just get the side-effects. Anti-anxieties (klonopin/valium) work best for me. Depression is biological as well as emotional. It's a matter of "which comes first, the chicken or the egg". In example, a lot of my issues stem from hormone upheaval - PMDD, and now early perimenopause. I researched how the hormones affect one another and their involvment with depression and anxiety. SSRIs (like Lexapro) help with the end of the train, like dealing with the bleeding of a cut - but they don't deal with the actual cause (which is the cut itself). Also, when you're depressed, the chemicals which are set off get into a pattern, and its hard to get them straightened out again. SSRIs/SSNIs help do that (again at the end level). They really do help a lot of people - but not all. Sometimes we need to have the wound stitched up, and no amount of bandages are going to stop the bleeding. Or perhaps something comes along and reopens the wound again. But the chemical aspect is what makes it appear as if the depression is "irrational" - whereas when we have something we can point to it seems "rational". When I get that depressed, not a lot works for me except to "blow out" and just vent. Sometimes its bad enough that I have to excise (which for me is running away from whatever it is, or in some cases just completely separating myself from the situation that's causing it - which causes me to lose a lot of friends). Otherwise I just allow myself to feel what I'm feeling - without acting on it. And when I feel like seriously acting on it, like this time, I get help (like coming here).
  9. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I'm on a regimine of meds that are working for me..
    1)effexor-for depression
    2)geodon- for irrational thoughts
    3) cogentin-for side effects
    4)lamitcal- for mood swings
    5)xanax- for anxiety
    6) prolixin-for seeing things
    These are working for me.. He adjusted my effxor to a high dose for the depression..
  10. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I've been severely depressed most of my adult life - I"m now 57 - and have been on sertraline hcl (zoloft) for the last 11 years. I'm on a big dose now for my body weight and tho it helps keep the depression bearable most of the time, I also get triggered by people and events. Finances and my kids are my biggest reasons for overwhelming depression: the kind where I wish I could kill myself but am afraid to die. :sad:

I too feel like I'm watching a train wreck when my depression becomes unbearable - powerless to stop it, powerless to look away, and powerless to get out of the way. I hate being this way but don't know how to be any other way. Like the book title "Been down so long it looks like up to me". Even when the depression is tolerable it's still hanging over me, like a dark cloud or a coming storm.:sad:

And I can intellectuallize it: I can understand the mechanics of depression but can't do a damn thing to raise my mood, I can't get out from under the dark cloud. I feel like despite the meds, I'll be depressed the rest of my life and can't do a damn thing to make it better. And the only thing that keeps me from killing myself when it gets really bad is that I won't abandon my dogs.

Sorry I can't be of any real help.:sad:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.