Is 11 old enough to babysit?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by doityourself, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

Question, since my son has started kindergarden this year, we no longer have a sitter and was wondering what you all thought....

Do you think that an 11 year old boy is mature and responsible enough to sit for 5 hours a day?

2. MadeOfGlass

MadeOfGlass Well-Known Member

I personally think that's a little young, I didn't start babysitting until I was 12, and that was only for a couple hours at a time.

But, if you think the kid is mature enough to handle it, then it's fine.

3. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I think 11 is old enough for a child to stay home alone for a few hours, but not necessarily old enough to be responsible for a younger child.

4. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I agree.

Kinder kids can be a handful. It's more about does the 11 year old know what to do and not to do. Can he/she control a situation and deal with any unexpected situations.

I donno. depends on the maturity and everything to. Id call it a grey line.
    Plus, 5 hours a day is alot for an 11 yera old. Though I understand children helping out, and it helps them mature greatly. edit*..

Nm it's too young. Too many possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
  5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i think 11 is a bit young. i didn't start babysitting til i was 13 and then only for a few hours at a time. 5 hours is a long time and a 5 year old can be a handful. better safe than sorry my motto.

wanted to add, have they done a babysitting course and a first aid course? might make them better prepared.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I read a true story about a young teenage babysitter. There was a fire in the house so they rushed out and left the baby inside. Chances of it happening are extremely rare but what a position to put them in.

7. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

I would say no he isn't old enough. But it also depends on the boy you are talking about. Is he mature for his age?

8. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

Thanks guys:rolleyes:, I feel that he probably is to young, although he is a pretty mature young man, this is his little brother that he constantly fights with. I thought maybe I was being a little over protective because my one friend kept saying Im treating them like babies, but I think for now I will take everyones advice and get a sitter.

9. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Better to be safe than sorry. Plus, it's different when you're they're "babying" them compared to you not being there at all :) Donno why your friend would say that anyhow :eek:hmy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.