Is anyone else afraid of the after-life?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ryanglander, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanglander

ryanglander Well-Known Member

What do you think it would feel like? Is there really a hell? The big bang theory suggests there was a beggining, and if there was a beggining there must have been a creator. But that doesn't mean we will have an after-life. What if there is a God but we when we die we just disappear forever.

What do you think comes after death?
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Countless near-death experiences that give a glimpse of the after-life. I have read a lot about the after-life and confirm what I've read with my own heart. I know that death is no end. I am more afraid of the process of dying.
  3. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I'm not scared. Somedays I can't wait till I'm gone. I don't think I believe in an after life anyway :unsure:.
  4. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Not afraid because I know it's impossible.

The god theory doesn't really explain a beginning. Where did god come from?
  5. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

there is no god, when you are dead you are dead
  6. cloud9

cloud9 Well-Known Member

I am afraid.......its one of two things that keep me trudging along.

1. In my religion, suicides go to hell (not fair in my opinion), but that freaks me out.

2. I can't just let my family deal with the grief. I think it would tear them apart.

As for pain, not afraid as there are methods out there that aren't painful.
    I wish though we could just die and just cease to exist. That would be ideal.

But I guess beggars can't be choosers...:unsure:
  7. Digital Angel

Digital Angel Well-Known Member

People have near-death experiences because of lack of oxygen to the brain and also since they likely associate death with some version of the afterlife (whether they believe it or not) it causes them to hallucinate something similar.

There could be an afterlife but it's VERY doubtful I'm sad to say. But who would want to live forever anyway? It would get really boring.
  8. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

for sure, we will never know the answer, until we go.

it is a question that drives many to seek meaning in life, and others to postpone LIVING now, and wait for their 'great reward'

all i know - is that the older i get - the more i realize. . . i do NOT have the answers. no one person, faith, or sect, has the answers.

i am not afraid that suicide or suicidal feelings, will cause me eternal punishment. but i am afraid that if i check-out early - - there will be someone damaged, because i am not here. so i stay. and i have no clue what is next. but i do not think my soul will die. wth it does - no clue.
  9. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

I'm not scared of a after life or hell because I believe God is all loving and there is no one whos heart God cannot fill with its love. I believe life is capabable of creating endless experiences, when you are one with god there is no boredom. I do not think all near death experiences are hallucinations. Some people who have had them have said they have had acid trips etc and they could tell the difference and really felt as though they existed outside of a human body. My life has been hell already so what have I got to lose. I hope there is a afterlife of some sort. It makes more sense to me that life has meaning and is not a nihilistic accident. Oops im alive, im not suppose to exist, ill be heading back to nonexistence now :)
  10. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I put all my spirituality in physics, chemistry, time , and space. When you die you cease to exist. But the energy that makes up your body is shifted around. And that's good enough for me.

11. HarleyTwin

HarleyTwin Staff Alumni

I'm absolutely terrified of it. I had a psychotic episode once and believed I was heading to hell, the process and the actions of my mind and body made me feel like I was dying and crossing over, and it was the scariest thing of my life. That was my hell. I can handle fire and brimstone or torture, etc. Just not that.

I'm also afraid that all the suffering I've been through, and that I've seen others through is all for nothing, and this life is pointless. I don't want to believe that. I believe in God, so I know there's some kind of afterlife. I just hope I'm doing the right thing to please him and I'm moralistic enough to see heaven/paradise.

My fear of it is why I don't think I could ever got through with suicide. But I get days when it gets so bad, that I find myself not caring, but I still never bring myself to it. Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know.
  12. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I have said it before. I think we come back not necessarily as human but as any living creature until we find the meaning of life. Once we acheive that then we can move on to the spirit world...Call me crazy I don't care!!!
  13. Shiroi_Hana

Shiroi_Hana Well-Known Member

I've always been a believer in some sort of afterlife, though I do not believe in the possibility of Hell as the Bible teaches. I don't believe that we will be punished after we die; I believe that we punish ourselves for our "sins" by not forgiving ourselves and being able to move on (ghosts), but if we can completely let go of all of our anger and pain when we die, then we go to a place something similar to Heaven, or perhaps we are even reincarnated. I don't think there's anything to be afraid of in the afterlife per se; I think it's a lot more simple than we're making it out to be, and it's entirely up to us as to what happens after we leave our bodies, not some 'supreme parent deity'. I don't think we have any reason to be afraid.
  14. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I'm already there....really. I am. Loads of people have said I'm in heaven already, like when I went to Brighton I was in heaven with my camera :biggrin:

Right now, I think I'm in some kind of half way stage inbetween life and something else...:unsure:
  15. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I have read those too and I am not worried.
  16. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

Well then i guess you dont know much about anything
    because if you did you would know about the "string theory", parts of our brain
    that are connection of us with a parallel universe
  17. achtland

achtland Member

I agree with the religion thing, not that I believe it, but it was drummed into me so much when I was a kid that I always have the thought "what if it's true" running in the back of my mind.
    Otherwise, if that thought didn't keep popping up, I would agree with jameslyons - you cease to exist but your energy is redistributed.
  18. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I know the theory very well :laugh:. However quarks may react with their environment - whether it be 3 dimensional or 11, I won't say my conscience has anything to do with it. My ego is just a collection of neural pathways that'll disappear with death, stroke, or too much television.

19. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

well how can you know?
    is it possible that your conscience is connected to another dimension?
    I say yes it is possible, and if its so, then all your memory's can be stored
    in a different place, what if when we die we just disconnect from our body's
    our neural electrical activity stops but the strings remain active, so the gate
    is open even though we die, and then we just become a part of something ales.
  20. Thinice

Thinice Well-Known Member

I am afraid, but only because I don't know what's coming next.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.