Is anyone else afraid of the after-life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanglander

no this is not true. hinduism is not one religion. there are a thousand branches of hinduism and they do not follow the same thing or even the same god. caste is a cultural issue not religion based. please read up on it first. i am vedantan hindu
guess what NO castes

:rolleyes:
I know Hinsduism is not one religion just like Christrianity is not one religion. But all christians beleive in Christ, my generalizations are correct. Caste pertains to culture and religion. It has to do with people's social status and their job, The hindu Religion is based on the caste system. Are their chrsitians that don't beleive in Christ? Yes. They may beleive Christ was a prophet and not a savior. Yet they can still be called Christians.

Generalizations are not necessarily true, they are GENERALLY true. And in general Hinduism is based on the caste system.

downmage

Yeah, I do think that there is some kind of after-life. I also think it's a big no-no to take your own life..but life is so fucked-up, that one day I just might do it anyways.

justafool

I personally reject what every religion has to say about heaven and hell. I don't think any religion has any information on the subject and all that they have to offer are fairy tales. Yet I believe that our lives continue . . .

However, much of the time the existential concept of oblivion appeals more to me than does any portrait of heaven that I've encountered.

ryanglander

I think that when you die time stops for you. And I don't think heaven is a physical place I think its something beyond our comprehension (if it exists).

God created the universe as evidenced by the big bang. But one question is unanswered, when was God born? I think that he was never born, that he just always has been, and time for him and the afterlife is like a circle there is no past or future, only the present.

I know God exists. I've had many experiences that are just too bizzare (to the nonbeleiver) to beleive.

I think when you die you must go through something so incredibly painful that is greater then the greatest pain here on earth. Thats the only thing that could make up for those who live their entire life in suffering or starvation. Everyone must suffer after they die until they become so pure that they would rather suffer an infinite amount of pain rather then be denied the presence of God.

jameslyons

Exactly. Just like when somebody has a stick thrown in their eye. The matter may still be there but their vision is gone. Your ego is nothing more than a collection of neural pathways. The matter and energy of the pathways will change with your death - their energy will exist, but not in the form that allows your ego to exist.

The matter making up your body has been around for billions of years. But you, at best, only get 100 years of existence. Your body's energy and mass will have an afterlife. But you, sadly, will not :laugh:

That's why life is so important. And so tragic when people are inflicted with a disease that takes the ability to enjoy life away from them. There's no point to suicide if you expect an afterlife. It makes more sense to learn to overcome your problems.

ryanglander

Exactly. Just like when somebody has a stick thrown in their eye. The matter may still be there but their vision is gone. Your ego is nothing more than a collection of neural pathways. The matter and energy of the pathways will change with your death - their energy will exist, but not in the form that allows your ego to exist.

The matter making up your body has been around for billions of years. But you, at best, only get 100 years of existence. Your body's energy and mass will have an afterlife. But you, sadly, will not :laugh:

That's why life is so important. And so tragic when people are inflicted with a disease that takes the ability to enjoy life away from them. There's no point to suicide if you expect an afterlife. It makes more sense to learn to overcome your problems.
But new energy is constantly comming to earth (from the sun). Technically we are all made of matter from "the beggining". But I beleive once we die the energy is transfered somewhere else, or in another dimension we can't see. When I talk about my bodies energy I mean the electricity running mty brain.

Personally, no.
I do not believe in any form of afterlife. The only afterlife I fear for, is my memory. How will people remember me? Will I be missed? What will they say? I know I won't care when I'm dead, but sometimes I'd wish that I could be "alive" after I'm dead, just to know.

Ryan1

When the brain thinks the body has died, large amounts of DMT are released which causes the halluications. You can also create DMT in your backyard. Shamans do it all the time.

1. In my religion, suicides go to hell (not fair in my opinion), but that freaks me out.
I wish though we could just die and just cease to exist. That would be ideal.
THat whole suicide hell thing scares the hell out of me and also seems twisted. How can god justify something so depraved as hell to begin with? What crime on earth could be worth making someone burn and scream in unendurable mindbending agony constantly for an eternity without reprieve? We are supposed to forgive others and not get revenge on them yet the example he sets for us is that if we piss him off he will sadistically torture us for eternity?

Secondly, how can he justify something so cruel as to torture a suicide for eternity? Is that really the worst crime a person can commit? This person merely wanted to escape pain and they apparently merit his hate to the point where they get burned endlessly? It's not like someone about to commit suicide is thinking "hey this is a great way to give god the finger". It's an act of desperate pain, not sacrelidge.

I hope that such a thing is not true.

I think it might help people who are suicidal if they could ask for some confidentiality when disclosing it to a freind. Nobody in their right mind wants that on their record. It hurts ones chances at life insurance, jobs that require strong background checks or polygraphs..etc. By saying that you want to end you life you end up ruining it in some ways so people are afraid to speak up. Why is it so wrong to promise confidentiality? If people could get someone to agree to keep it a secret they might seek help rather than keeping it to themselves.

Reki

The afterlife is a pleasant notion and a comfort with death constantly breathing down our necks, but entertaining the thought makes me feel like a caveman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00