Is anyone here on/have been on Lorazepam?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by cult logic, Feb 5, 2009.

1. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I was just prescribed Lorazepam by my doctor to hold me over until I can get in with a new psychologist to prescribe me a more normal medication.

I looked it up online and I'm kind of nervous about taking it.

Does anyone here have experience with this drug?

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Yeah it's regular name is Ativan. I was on it for a few months. My body became physically dependent on it. I was taking it four times a day though. I was thankful that I was in the hospital when they brought me off of it and put me on new drugs. How long until your appt.? If it's just to hold you over it should be no problem.
    :heart:

3. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

They only gave me around 20-30.

I'm just afraid I might take more than necessary at one time because I get pretty nervous.

My appointment should be later this month, so I shouldn't even need a refill.

4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

You can't really take too much. If you did take a lot you'd just be real relaxed probably.

5. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Well I tried some of it.

Made me really tired.

Took it Thursday night, went to school on Friday, then came home and slept until about now.

6. Adhara

Adhara Member

It depends on the person. I am very resistant to lorazepam, my psych makes me have five pills when I have thoughts of hurting myself. But I know a lot os person whose anxiety dropped a lot having lorazepam.

7. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

It's awesome- I love it.

I have a physical dependency on lorazepam but without it I cannot sleep. This is bad for my bipolar disorder. All I can say is, it's a trade-off between how bad your life is without medication and the consequences of being on a medication that makes you chemically dependent. for me it's a no brainer

By the way, chemical dependency is not the same as addiction.

8. Starlite

Starlite Senior Member

My husband has taken ativan for a long time. It does very well with his anxiety attacks. Every individual is different and because of our chemical make up we respond differently to medications than say our neighbor would.

9. darkeyes

darkeyes Well-Known Member

In my experience with this med, I've taken it twice, the day of my fathers funeral and that night to try and sleep, I was having mild auditory hallucinations of a mocking high pitched voice repeating my thoughts back to me in a horribly condescending way. It was pretty interesting but kind of disturbing. The visual ones were mild things like the portraits of him at the funeral and other paintings in the home were moving like they were film, the legs of chairs and dressers looked like they were sinking into the floor. There were some other odd ones I can't remember.

That's just how I reacted to the meds, obviously not how every person does.

10. tired82

tired82 Well-Known Member

I was taking it along with Zoloft and Celexa. There weren't any sever side-effects, just more sweating - but that could be due to Zoloft.

11. pither

pither Well-Known Member

Yup, I was on it for a few months. Knocked me the hell out every time. I even had the dose reduced because I was worried it was too much. I also had really horrible headaches after I'd wake up. It was nice when I needed to get some sleep, but it messed me up. Blurry vision, WEIRD dreams, and I shook constantly. But I don't take it anymore, so it's all good- every persons' different.

-em