Is anyone on disability for depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoeu

My mother is on disability for depression. You should attempt to do this; talk to your psych for information, they know what to do.

ToHelp

I can speak to this.

Absent an obvious disability, SSI is exceedingly (and intentionally) hard to get.

An obvious disabability might be spina bifada (or wheelchair-bound conditions) or severe cases of Downs Syndrome or autism or schizophrenia or blindness.

Second, a month is about 1/36 the amout of time you'd need to be rescued via this means. Third, ALL cases save for blindness or other obvious impairment are denied.

You got a monster on your hands if you're going to show that an affective disorder (disorder affectiving mood) like major depression is grounds for a free gov't hand-out every month and I DON'T mean that derogatorily.

You can count on about 3 years, mounds of paperwork, medical work-ups, appeals, and hearings before that can happen.

Then, I could be wrong :biggrin: but.... Waste, I am very sorry to hear of your predicament.

aoeu

It depends where you are. In Alberta, it took about a week for my mom's to get going - but it was definitely temporary. 16 weeks disability, and 32 weeks via some loophole that they found for her.

itmahanh

Senior Member & Antiquities Friend
Not sure where you are but in Canada you can get disability for mental health issues but it takes quite a bit of work to get it. And in the end it really isnt much at all. But every little bit helps.

jameslyons

In California, government assistance for depression means staying in a state psychiatric ward. Is there any family members that can help you out? Another option is to try and get a second job which can be presented to the landlord as proof of eventual payment.

I'm in the same predicament---one month about.

Just remember that you're allowed to feel bad. It's a crummy hardship we have to bear, but that doesn't mean we're incompetent or powerless. It's just our body and minds that tell us that.

My therapist said depression can best be dealt with therapy, a little medication, and daily exercise with the focus on daily exercise.

So why don't you go running for an hour, come back to your house, and know that this is your house. And that you have been able to survive this long.

And know that you are capable of behaving differently from how you feel. It will be uncomfortable, it will seem like you're putting on a charade, but that's just the depression talking.

You aren't responsible for how you feel, but you are in control of how you behave.

Stay strong...

James.

ToHelp

Now that was a grade-A post, at once grandiloquent and eloquent whilst being useful and helpful.

"My therapist said depression can best be dealt with therapy, a little medication, and daily exercise with the focus on daily exercise."

Spot. On.

"So why don't you go running for an hour, come back to your house, and know that this is your house. And that you have been able to survive this long."

Always frown on these specifics for of what do WE know, the OP? --Maybe RUNNING AN HOUR is raucously impractical. However, any exercise, and I like to focus on walking, for however long, on a daily basis... and you've got a winner.

Oh but James dude. The rest - "you are capable of behaving differently from how you feel. It will be uncomfortable, it will seem like you're putting on a charade, but that's just the depression talking. You aren't responsible for how you feel, but you are in control of how you behave."

Well that is powerful insight.

ToHelp

annie-crafts

I live in the US

I am on disability for depression/bi-polar/panic d/o. I have been on since 1997 or so. I went off for a couple of years, but couldn't do it so I'm back on again. When I applied, I had a REALLY good Psychatrist and Psychologist. I was denied the first time, but appealed and approved the second time. If you have a long history of meds not working and being incapasitated, you may be eligible. I had also just had ECT that didn't work.

This is just MY experience -

PM me if you want to know more

-annie:blink:

wastedmylife

12 days till I am homeless, I wont qualify for disability beacuse I dont want to take the garbage medication they give me and I bet when people look at me they think I look like someone who shouldnt be depressed

and my therapist told me you need to be on medication and you need to have ECT before they let you qualify for disability, unreal, unfucking real

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
12 days till I am homeless, I wont qualify for disability beacuse I dont want to take the garbage medication they give me and I bet when people look at me they think I look like someone who shouldnt be depressed

and my therapist told me you need to be on medication and you need to have ECT before they let you qualify for disability, unreal, unfucking real
Why don't you just pretend you're taking it?:unsure:

Where I live you can get disability or ssi payments if your diagnosed with depression and have been out of work or expected to be out of work for 12 months because of the condition. My mom signed me up when I was 16 but I got denied and stopped the process. I signed myself up when I was 18 or 19 and got denied, took it to court, got postponed because of missing evidence, still havent heard back. The judge agrees Im disabled by my condition ( mores wrong with me then depression) but she says I could work at a job that doesnt require me work with people. My lawyer says its not possible because of the area I live in and my education level. According to state laws the job would have to earn me substatal income and be within 25 miles round trip of my house - and neither are going to happen. I have been trying this time since 18 or 19 years of age and soon I turn 23... Btw, Im not taking medications and they dont hold that against you here - where I live medications arent nessacary to be considered disabled.

Stranger1

Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend
Yes I have been for about eight years. You need to start by getting a letter from the shrink and therapist you saw in the hospital. A letter from your therapist would help also. Then you have to see there shrink and there doctor, fill out a bunch of paper work add a copy of your letters and apply. I had mine in six months. It usually takes a year or two and then you have to get denied. Then you have to get an attourney who deals with this and wait. If the attourney is good you will get your SSI. I got mine so easy because I have several phsyc problems. I'm all messed up. Good Luck!!~Joseph~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00