Is apathy the only way out?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ire, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ire

Ire Guest

Every day I come on here. Click the new posts link. And every day there's another person in pain, another person with problems. So many of them.

The past few days I have been feeling, overall, better. Definitely less suicidal. Not cutting as much. And the only way I've done that is because I have forced myself to not care. Not care about all the things that used to make me hurt.

It's not easy, but it is doable. It gets easier with time, taking pain and pressing it down, down, and away. It surges up from time to time. It lurks there, in the back if my mind, tainting my thoughts...
    Yet, it seems the only way to survive.

The only person who's ever said they loved me hasn't talked to me in two days. I'm managing even to quell the emotions from that.

2. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

I am empathetic to your question. I have no answer. I am sorry Ire. So sorry. :hug:

3. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I too understand your question. I have to sort of "turn off" or "turn down" my feelings sometimes. Maybe cause I feel too bad to acknowledge my own feelings, maybe cause the world's pain is too much to bear. But either way I'm shutting off my feelings. I can't say if that's the solution or not. Just that I've done it myself, to survive. It's understandable. I think we do that more than we realize. Dulling or damping down of all the misery we encounter. Too much is too much, and we do what we can to protect ourselves. don't feel bad about it. Just try not to become totally numb to what's going on. We have to keep some sensation in ourselves, else we become dead to all feelings.

4. Ire

Ire Guest

5. brainstorm

brainstorm Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I don't think apathy is the answer. It's less frightening, but going into apathy you'll be frozen in your situation forever. The discharge of energy (by crying, by yelling, by feeling) will provide the movement to get out and overcome your situation.

But, that's scary as hell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.