Is beauty that important?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Celebrated Thing, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Celebrated Thing

Celebrated Thing Well-Known Member

I dont know if this fits in this category, if it isnt I will delete it. But Im just frustrated how I get treated in comparison to the prettier girls. I see the beautiful girls and hate that they get special treatment by everyone including professors, employers, and worst of all, attention from people I like. I wish I was beautiful. This ended up more of a rant than question, but it hurts very bad.
  2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

there are 'pretty girls' who are very unattractive to me
    there are 'pretty girls' who are attractive to me because they are beautiful

beauty has very little to do with how you look.
  3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, if it means anything, I find supermodels unattractive, and far prefer women who are nice. A good exterior lasts only until you open your mouth... then what's inside counts.
  4. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Yes, beauty is important because people are shallow.
    You can argue it all you want, but you'll see the truth everyday in life.
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I don't think so:unsure: It really is whats on the inside that counts..i dont know why people still refuse to believe that.
  6. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

I'd say beauty is important, but the definition of beauty is different for everyone. For some a beautiful woman might be slim, blonde, tanned etc, for me though that's rather boring and to me physical beauty means a nice smile, kind eyes and a "fuller figure". Not to mention inner beauty, which even though it's a cliche really does count for much more than looks. I'd pick a caring, generous, loyal person with a few imperfections and great sense of humour any day.
  7. Ants

Ants Well-Known Member

Ahhh Yes, again everyone has the truth... at least a piece of it. We have been raised all of our lives watching the beautiful people on TV. It has been pumped into our consciousness like entering bad code into a computer. What happens is that the shallow people can relate to each other. (That is if you call what they do as having relationships) Therefore we are continually bombarded with their shallow point of view. Oh yea! Physical beauty is important... TO THEM!!!

What I found is that I could never please THEM, I couldn't be handsome enough, I couldn't be socially acceptable to THEM, I couldn't be like THEM. I went through a very dark time of my life but when I emerged I had come to the realization that I did not need THEM. I need ME. I needed people who accepted me as ME. I was not rude to THEM, I just did not give them the power to shape my own opinion of ME. I relaxed and decided to be gentle with myself. I found that if I gave away a smile I usually got one back. I went different places and met different people. I found, or perhaps they found me, people who have become dear friends. Not because of what I look like, but because of how I look and who I am. (The clothes you wear are the cover of the book, and we have no choice but to judge a book by its cover. If the cover is uninteresting to me I will probably keep looking. If the outside appearance get my attention I am much more likely to look inside.)

Look up Desiterata on the net and read it... Go placidly amid the noise and the haste...

It got me through to this ripe old age of 54.... and helps me keep things in perspective even as I enter another dark period in my life.

Be at peace with yourself, and strive to be happy
  8. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Yeah I think so too, but my experiences with people have showed they care about looks mostly.
    I think if you're beautiful on the inside, it'll shine through. Sadly I can see by their actions that no one I've met in person agrees.
  9. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Well... Being 16 I have little more in mind for a relationship than sex. Little point for anything more than that at my age.

So physical attraction takes precedence. Only really in cases where I absolutely hate their personality do I consider.

Does that make me shallow? I don't think so.

I'll probably look for more in women if I reach adulthood.
  10. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Good looks will you get your more in life than any other trait you posess.
  11. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i think that generic beauty is horrible and its all perspective too. but no i dont think it is.
  12. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think it is based on how you see yourself. If you see yourself as beautiful, others will pick up on that.
  13. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Or they'll see you as ugly AND delusional.
  14. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

very true. i see some girls and i think "what are they thinking?"
    but its still subjective
  15. XXXXX

XXXXX Antiquities Friend

I disagree strongly. Brains will get you more in life than any other trait you possess - you don't need an IQ of 180, just need to use what you have got between the ears.

Beauty is the eye of the beholder. To be judged solely on one's looks (at either end of the scale) is depressing, as someone at the more unattractive end of the scale (see Avatar :tongue:) IME the trick is to try and bring some other thing(s) into the equation as early as possible.
  16. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i've seen ugly people. i've seen them and it's got nothing to do with how they look. they are poisonous because of one thing, they are afraid of their anger, have no means of communicating their emotions, aren't in touch with how they feel, do not care about their feelings, don't pay attention to them, and their anger goes into destroying other people and using others as extensions of themselves.

i used to think i was ugly because of my father. he's very good looking btw. but there again you can see the effects of abuse and how one perceives themselves.
  17. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

There's a reason why over 50% of marriages end in a divorce. People don't realize what's important and what's not. Both men and women really need to get their priorities straight is people want that statistic to change.

You actually have to do hard work and put your brains to good use however. Good looks can get you all you'll need in life just by saying "I do" or taking your clothes off in front of a camera.
  18. CPessimist

CPessimist Well-Known Member

not true issaccs hard work will, but who wants to do that
  19. Bubble

Bubble Well-Known Member

Beauty is seen as important these days,
    People will stare/whisper about you if you arent attractive,
    So many rude people out there cant be bothered to talk or even get to know you unless you are attractive to them.
    I for one will judge people on personality because it is more important to me then somebodys beauty but not everybody in this world is able to do that.
  20. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Unfortunately, most Western societies still cling to physical beauty and $$$ as attractive elements of an individual they seek for a relationship. Money for the more serious later on when it comes to marriage. It took me a long time to get over the looks aspect in seeking a relationship, but I did. There's a great line in "Mad Max" where one of the bikers says to Mel Gibsons wife " "You've got a very pretty face, but no sense of humor. But what should happen if you lose the face?" He was talking about messing her up at that moment, but it still applies in a different manner. Nearly everbody will have trouble maintaining physical beauty forever...and then, there better be something inside to keep a relationship going.