Is being shy an illness?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ryan, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryan

ryan Member

just an article about chronic anxiety. more people suffer some from it than i thought. it is a really soul crushing problem for me at least.

'4% to 8% of people in the UK will suffer chronic anxiety at some time but only 5% to 10% of people with social phobia in the UK currently get treatment for it'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7274825.stm

2. allofme

allofme Staff Alumni

i read somewhere that being shy is an inherited trait ...

3. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

I think shyness and chronic anxiety from illogical belief systems are pretty far apart. Shyness isn't an illness. I wouldnt say that serious anxiety is an illness either, but rather a long-standing effect from events experienced. The issue is that both shyness and anxiety create big problems in a society where everyone is expected to interact and make mild chitchat with the mailman every day.

4. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

Social phobia is a mental illness but shyness is more of a character trait. Even in the comments on that site there's one or two mixed up thinking that being a bit uncomfortable in a crowd of strangers is the same as isolating yourself due to anxiety. :dry:

5. Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

I would agree that shyness isn't an illness.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

According to the article:

They're keen to make everything a 'condition' these days aren't they?

7. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

:lolabove: You damned well betcha... And they push ADs and other popular drugs whose patents haven't expired through their drug reps at doctors' offices on every conceivable fucking opportunity.

This is moolah we're talking here. Money, money money -- gotta profit; gotta meet them quotas.

Don't get sick in America unless you can afford it.

8. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

IShyness is a detriment to the lives of EVERYONE that has it. I don't know the semantics of how psych diseases are classified, but I logically it seems like it should be a disorder.

9. downnout

downnout Well-Known Member

^^I used to be shy and I didn't consider that an illness. But then I started suffering from anxiety/panic attacks and that definitely was; medications helped a lot with that. If you're shy, social situations just take a lot of will-power and practice (and forgiving of yourself) to overcome.

"if you can't learn to laugh at yourself, life is going to seem a whole lot longer than you'd like" -garden state

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2008
  10. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Well "shyness" is a colloquial, non-medical term. Being shy as one person said is just part of being human for some people. But any type of phobia is a bona fide mental condition which be medically addressed.

Put even more simply, one's "shyness" ONLY becomes neurotic when it interferes with daily life function.

So no, being shy doesn't equate to being mentally ill. :laugh: But when natural shyness turns to a crippling anxiety, you have a treatable condition.

ToHelp

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2008
  11. ColdSummer

ColdSummer Well-Known Member

"shyness" in itself is not an illness, just a personality trait, like being introverted or extroverted, self-discipline, how we express emotion, we're all different in those traits. Some of these can however be a bit out of balance so to speak. shyness becomes an illness when it turns into social anxiety, phobia, whatever. this has happened to me, I was always a shy kid, but easily warmed up to people, but as a teen now, it's almost like im afraid, it's past shyness now :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.