is bipolar a disease?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by mismad, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mismad

mismad Active Member

Sometimes when I hear negative words I can think that it was a joke, and it didnt hurts me.
    But later on the same day I feel irritated.

I've been thinking about how I can be so cheerful and can be so down in one day.

Is bipolar a disease or some kind of feeling?
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Here is a news article that talks about bipolar that may give you a basic understanding about it. There is a lot more information about it from medical and psychiatric journals but this might be a good place to start to understand why treatment is used and the fact it is in fact an illness and why it needs to be treated properly.
  3. ChestnutMay

ChestnutMay Antiquities Friend

The short answer to your question is: yes, bi-polar is a disease. Unfortunately, the precise gene(s) involved have not been identified, nor does modern medicine understand the complex pathology of the brain chemicals involved or any environmental/social triggers that might bring it on. There is plenty of very promising research being done in these fields though and all demonstrate that bi-polar is an extremely complex disease involving many different features. Although the exact biology of bi-polar disease has yet to be determined, that does not make it any less a disease. We knew cancer was a disease long before we understood it as well as we do (and there is still a lot to go on that, too).

MYJmpMaster has given you a good place to start . Keep reading. The more you read, the more you'll understand this is a disease and not something you brought on yourself, nor will it be subject to an easy straight forward cure like taking an anti-biotic. It can be treated though. Both of my daughters are bi-polar and they are leading full and happy lives. Both are working in their chosen fields. They are on meds and go to therapy every week. It is not easy for them, but they are making it work.

Don't give up hope!
  4. mismad

mismad Active Member

Sounds like this kind of mental disease is harder to cure than physical disease
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

MEntal illness is difficult to treat to get right combination of meds and therapy together yes but it is treatable
    some physical illnesses are very difficult to treat as well cancer being one of them I do not think there is a cure per say but with mental illness it is a matter of getting oneself stable enough to face living hope that makes sense
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.