Is college becoming to expensive?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Young suicider, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

WoW have those prices been going up up and away over the years.I was looking at some colleges(non of which were top of the line schools.ex. UW-Madison,University of Minnesota etc.) because of course I'm in high school what else would I do in my free time?Anyway I plan on going to one that is close enough I may get to live at home and drive back and forth every day.

I thought I would run the price by you guys:

$32,000 for 4 years.It is a UW school...not any tech school.Which that price may not look to bad,what if you live on campus?

$66,000 That is one serious @ student loan to deal with.I really honestly don't want to know what it is for a top state college because I'm pretty sure it is $20,000 a year.When your student loan is about the cost of a decent house that's getting pretty crazy.Then you get lucky and your car goes down the tube and there goes a couple grand.

Talk about an investment huh?

Guess there is a price to do something other than flip burgers your whole life.
  2. Prof.Bruttenholm

Prof.Bruttenholm Well-Known Member

Wow...sorry but you're getting robbed.

I am poor and got financial aid but even my community college isn't much.
    It's about 2,000 dollars a semester, I've done two years there and got my associates degree which I am transferring to start a junior at a four year school to go for my bachelors degree.
    If you did the math, I theoretically spent about 8,000 dollars for half of my college education, which isn't so bad considering the campus was good, the professors were great and knowledgeable and my state option isn't bad, it'll only be double the community college, so consider another two years at the state school would be about 16,000 dollars, so that's about 24,000 all together.
    But none the less, I need every bit of financial aid because I am poor.

I would consider your community college options, it's worked out for me.
  3. LipsOfDeceit

LipsOfDeceit Well-Known Member

College is expensive but I think it is a worthwhile investment. Try applying for scholarships, financial aid, pell grants etc. (I'm not very sure about such things since I'm not American). I thought this site was pretty useful about such stuff: They also have lots of information on college-related topics so check it out if you want to.
  4. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Don't live at home.
  5. Fever

Fever Member

Now that the current job market makes it look like you need a degree they can raise prices all they want, plus at the end of the day they're just trying to turn a profit, so it's to be expected. It's pretty funny when you think about it, because a lot of people will never get any use out of their degree. It's like the hugest amount of wasted money ever for them. But at the same time, if there is something specific you want to do, you have no real choice but to take the chance.

People should just start filing for bankruptcy as soon as they graduate more or something.
  6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Go to college for something that pays and watch your student loan worries melt away. If you go for a liberal arts degree you'll be working long to pay it back; if you go for an engineering degree your engineering-field summer jobs pay about 20k each.
  7. Prof.Bruttenholm

Nothing is set in stone. Sometimes it is also up to the degree owner to make the degree worth it.
    I agree though, society has made the degree in some ways more valuable than experience and it limits the individual.
    If I have a degree in Graphic Design, Visual Arts and Computer Science, I may not get hired because I am over qualified, how is that fair?
  8. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

I disagree. Overall since the start of the recession the majority of people getting the jobs are the ones with experience in the field they are applying, not the ones that have the most amount of education. Unless you are going into a highly technical field a degree really does not hold all that much water. The most important thing in any case is work ethic and character, if a field is not technical you can teach anyone what they need to know, but you can not change someone's personality. Be a hard worker, be ambitious, network, and degree or not you will land a great job at some point.

In general I have found the people complaining about not using their degree were not doing the legwork needed to get into the field they want to.
  9. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I think college/uni is very expensive, and the cost puts less well-to-do (poorer) people at a serious disadvantage. If only the wealthy are able to pay for college, and only people with degrees get the good jobs, then the poor will stay poor and get poorer.

But I think education is worthwhile, regardless of the diploma or degree. It's too bad that student loans are so humongous when students graduate and they have a huge debt hanging over them from the get go.

Overall, It's sad and scary.

Just my :twocents: opinion.
  10. Young suicider

Student loans are even more a problem when people go to college for a degree that is for one job/or for a job that they won't get because of economy etc.

Then they have a huge loan with no good job to pay it off
  11. Prof.Bruttenholm

Sorry my point was rather that we're influenced now to pick a field to specialize in earlier but that can be detrimental as it can result in us only having knowledge and skills in one limited field.
    That is why, as a graphic artist I trying to learn about many different forms of traditional and graphic art and computer science. Mostly teaching myself.

I can speak from experience that I've been to colleges where I am treated more like a customer than a student, the school simply holds out it's hand for money and doesn't seem to care at all for the individual students education but rather it's prestige and payment.
  12. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Although plenty of universities cost more OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Plan) here will, if needed, loan you all the money to get in and will cap that debt at 3650$/semester (Just under 30k for a 4 year program) even if the actual cost of the university is higher, and you get a grace period of 6 months from the end of your university career without interest or pay requirements. That includes books; that said OSAP won't necessarily help if you unless you can show you actually need it.
  13. Lovecraft

People pay more for a master of one trade then for a Jack of all trades; that said backup ways to pay the bills is good. I intend to become an able welder after I get out of university.
  14. Prof.Bruttenholm

Wow, I am glad I live in the state I do, you all shovel out a lot for your college education, no offense.
    My state worries a lot about college education and offers a program where those who are attending community colleges that take part in this select program can transfer all credit towards the degree of their choice to a state university, it makes transfer very easy.
  15. Lovecraft

The distinction between college and university exists here. All the universities of note are very large with endowments in the hundreds of millions or up to 1.44 billion dollars; I mean the big boys can be >3650$/semester. A college here is usually considerably cheaper; colleges give degrees and/or teach vocational classes whereas universities give academic degrees.
  16. Young suicider

HaHa It all depends.If I don't get accept into one of the two in driving distance the decision is pretty easy.Then again after I graduate from college it shouldn't take me long to hop onto a job opportunity,unless I get picky about staying in Wisconsin.So I might just decide another $20,000 would take that much longer to pay off.

One of those times I wish my parents had a couple hundred thousand dollars and could give me some and I wouldn't have to worry about it.O well I like people who pay for it themselves or through academic scholarships than have their mom help them.

Stupid 1.0 GPA athletes wasting space that could be held by a smarter student.Then they make millions...ugh.Free ride through life.
  17. Prof.Bruttenholm

Your last sentence I agree with.
    I realize that many athletes must hold a 'C' average or greater, but we all know that many professors or teachers give breaks or free rides, especially in the U.S.A., where for some reason, athletic ability is prided over academic achievement, why? It's the academics who build computers, space stations and the technology everyone loves and yet they only make several thousand a year while a football player or baseball player with make several hundred thousand to several million a year.
  18. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

You're right, that's another problem that many people face. It just makes me feel more scared for the way the world seems to be heading. :( :blink: :unsure:
  19. Prof.Bruttenholm

Unfortunately true.
    Degrees that limit a person to one field or worse one job with in one field are terrible, that degree isn't any less valuable as a symbol of their education but if you have a degree in Accounting and you can't get a job as an accountant, what else will you do?
    I am not saying my degree I am going for, Graphic Design is any better, but the field choices are wider depending on how much I know and what I am willing to do.

I recommend this to anyone...
    1. If you have to start out at an entry level position, despite any experience you have, take it, see where it leads, if not, well you only gained more experience
    2. Internships, take them. Internships have two big advantages, it gives college/university ( and even some high school) students experience in the field they're interested in, without having it conflict with school as much as a job. Internships can also lead to jobs, many students who perform well or outstandingly well in internships (or if the company is desperate for help) may be given the opportunity to start at an entry level position.
    3. Learn outside the classroom. Very little of your education should truly happen within the walls of your school. Mark Twain said "Never let school get in the way of your education", what he meant was, the educational systems we have don't necessarily reflect what people are actually learning.
    That is why I am studying animation and 3D techniques outside of school, along with different things in computer based art programs, like Photoshop.
    Knowledge of computers can be useful as well, I am currently teaching myself about HTML 5.0 and C++ programming.
    If you have a chance to teach yourself or even take an extra class or specialty course outside of your normal classes, take it.
  20. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Go to community college first, then transfer to the bigger school. You'll get the same degree in the end, the same education, in the same amount of time, for a lower overall cost. And actually you'll have two degrees, a Bachelor's as well as an Associate's.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.