Is cutting an addiction?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Thinice, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thinice

Thinice Well-Known Member

I've given myself about 13 cuts in the past week. As soon as I give myself one, I just feel the urge to do it again and again. It barely even hurts anymore, I just want to carry on doing it.

Anyone else?
  2. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

i can only speak for myself but i think it is. i hate it when the scabs look like they are going to go and that actually triggers me to cut more. have been like it since i was 14 properly and thats half of my life and so im almost convinced that its part of my personality
  3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I think it depends on why you cut.

I do think there can be a psychological addiction to it because you find it releases that pain and makes you feel better, and you want that more. Some people say it is a physical addiction because it releases endorphins that make you feel better.

Equally though there are other reasons that you may feel the need to do it over and over that may not be related to addiction (I can think of a few reasons but I'm not going to speculate because I don't know you in the slightest, or your situation).
  4. bjoern

bjoern Active Member

I've cutted myself for two, three years. Now I cant stop, when I dont cut, I feel not consentrated, suicidal and I loose control.

If this is your first week, quit the shit!
  5. SadPandaBear

SadPandaBear Well-Known Member

Im not sure what it is about it..... As soon as I see red, im at peace. I feel flike i've accomplished something, satisfaction, control, pleased, confident....
    Moments leading up.... terrified, upset,suffocation,loss of control....

just a couple of many.

Im not happy that I do it, and wish I never did. Scars look terrible.
  6. xxicedragonxx

xxicedragonxx Well-Known Member

yes it is... i hadnt cut in years and a few months ago i started again. if it wasnt an addiction i would have never gone back...

sometimes it is all i can think about.. but i made a promise...
  7. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Though largely still not given much attention, cutting is generally considered an addiction. Doing so releases endorphins, a feel good hormone that is triggered by injury, sexual activity, excitement, and pain. Endorphins not only relieve stress and cause a high, but they are proven to give the subject a sense of control and power.

When one is in a weakened, pained state, the body does everything it can to help that person react better, i.e. through this relaxed, controlled feeling. When you cut yourself, you're essentially fooling the system, the body responding to the pain without realizing its inflicted.The constant high that results is very much addictive, understandably.
  8. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

It does release endorphins, which has a slight euphoric and anti-pain effect.
  9. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

It sure is.
    After like 4 deep cuts it's neither satisfactory nor painful. You get nothing from it. It's just like, I started doing it, might as well fuck up my whole arm.

Best to stop before it gets too bad.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.