Is Dehydration suicide?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by DrowningInTears, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrowningInTears

DrowningInTears Well-Known Member

You aren't killing yourself you are just not actively taking in water. There is no act of killing yourself, you are just not making yourself live, letting nature take its course. Think about it every time you drink you are committing unsuicide. not drinking is not an act it is the absence of an act, therefore cannot be an act of suicide.

2. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

You are consciously not doing something in the hope that you will die. What is the difference between this and consciously doing something in the hope that you will die? Yes, it's still suicide, if you succeed. The motive was to kill yourself through your inaction(s).

3. lifeisashedog

lifeisashedog Well-Known Member

It is possible, but you will get bloody damn thirsty before you die. It is nature's way of persuading you to drink and live.

4. patacake

patacake Well-Known Member

Brandon as i told u earlier the mere suggestion of this really really upets me, dying from hunger or thirst , the latter of which takes a relatively short time are rumoured to be excruciatingly painful after a relatively short period, please dont contemplate it at all.
    Find me ill chat no probs - so come chat

:hug:

Jo xxxxxxxxx

5. unbearable

unbearable Well-Known Member

Yes I would second that, also if you are not eating/drinking knowing it will result in your death then I think it is suicide.

6. DrowningInTears

DrowningInTears Well-Known Member

Well this is probably my dumbest scheme yet. My mind is to unstable to actually commit to this, I could end up bailing on it at the end and just mess up my body and be more miserable. I really need something instant, realatively painless, and sure. I just want it over. But more than that I need some way to get my life to work, but that's just not happening :sad:.

Anyways I can't suicide for at least a little while for other reasons.:sad:

7. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Dying from dehydration first leads to madness, then death. It really isn't a pretty sight. And as others have said, it would be suicide, anyway..... sorry you're feeling so bad.

8. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

It would depend how you define suicide.

If your intent is to die from not drinking water, then yes it is suicide.

This is why, for example, a smoker who dies of cancer, technically is not a suicide since he did not smoke with the intent of killing himself. (Or at least not usually)

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I think the basic problem with killing yourself by dehydration is that physiological need would overtake you rapidly.

10. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to agree with aeou. I'd say it's quite a horrific method of death to experience.
    However, I applaud your imaginitive unconventional logic.

11. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

Kurt Vonnegut Jr. did. but it didn't kill him. poor bastard. miserable sod
    died of old age, after being chronically depressed his entire life.

oh well. he's at peace now.

anyway, of course it's suicide. this is a silly thread. not that it is YOUR
    fault, course not. I'm just saying........

I don't think it can be done and I hope I am right. I could never do that.
    instead of 8 glasses of water a day, I drink more like 30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.