Is every human being suicidal at some point?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by cots, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cots

cots Well-Known Member

I was wondering if the thought of suicide occurs in a person's mind at some point when they hit rock bottom. I'm talking about everyone in general, not just us. Do happy/healthy/normal people also experience suicidal thoughts?

2. Anon06

Anon06 Member

I guess everyone can think that way at some point of their life. The difference is for how long you are going to be that way and how serious you are about it.

3. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

When depression itself can affect 1 in 4 people at some point in their lives, it wouldn't seem like it could affect everyone, but the chances are always there as we do not know what goes through the rest of the 7 billion people on the planet's minds...

4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I've always heard statistics that everyone thinks of suicide at least once in their lives, but I don't necessarily think that's true. I can honestly say that I've never seriously contemplated suicide. Sure, I've had bad days, days where I'm down and question the point of life. But I've never thought of taking my own life. Granted, part of that may be due to the fact that my biggest fear is my own death. I know a few other people who fear death in the same way I do, so my guess is that their answer would be similar to mine.

5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I think lots of people have thought of it, but sometimes it's just a fleeting thought, but for others, it's obsessive and can last for many years. I think even some of the happiest people have thought of it, because no one is happy all of the time, no matter how much they might seem to be.

6. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

I honestly doubt it. There are very few aspects that are 100% freeflowing through all human beings. Contimplating ones own mortality is one thing, but directly percieving choice to end it is another. Even that contimplation is too broad because people approach their own death in different ways. Some through curiosity others are fed along by a negative course.

As far as when people hit rock bottom? Again I think it depends on the person and their upbringing. It's defiantly not a concrete assumption, but the possibility for suicidal thoughts to crop up raises exponentially when someone hits their lowest point(s). Just depends on the person and their life imo.

7. wyngedbyste

wyngedbyste Well-Known Member

I know two people who have never even had the thought "I wish I could die" let alone be suicidal, so I guess the answer is no, not everyone.

Byste

8. Anon06

Anon06 Member

Assuming you can trust the answer of those two people. Very often people aren't much honest with this kind of topic.

9. justMe7

Yar that's if they're able to admit it to themselves even. And in a realistic addition, they're still alive, so it's not a conclusive statement until they pass on.

10. Sea Sparkles

Sea Sparkles Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be so quickly to judge. I've known a few people in real life, who have never shared their depression with anyone. Who'd always laugh, who'd be the social butterfly of the night. Never once let on what they where feeling, never once shared. Most people thought they had the happiest life ever, think again... No one wants to admit mental illness. It's a shame people are stigma'ed "oh you look happy you should be OK" (along with the other nasty stigma suicidal feelings get) : / The past 5 years, though.. things are slowly changing and people aren't as bad towards mental health..

11. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

destructive as a race

12. wyngedbyste

wyngedbyste Well-Known Member

I do trust these people. Their view of the world is very narrow. One is my best friend and he has been with me through all of my issues. He's had troubles but suicide was never an option. He is deeply religious and he solved his problems other ways. The other is my sister. Her worldview is rigid. Suicide is for other people, only people who are imperfect and weak.

Byste

13. justMe7

Well, when it comes to talking about if someone is suicial or not, the only one who can actually state if they've ever felt or dwelled in or around those thoughts is that person themselves. An experience shared by two people is not going to be the same for each, nor are they going to react to every situation as you or anyone else would. Plus reactions(actions) are the act we all see. The thoughts/motivations/issues behind those actions are generally not talked about as frequently, or even admitted.
    However if you believe your friend has never dwelled near suicide, fair play to you. But again, it's not conclusive.

And your last statement... being suicidal doesn't make you weak or imperfect. But again, if that's what you choose to believe....

14. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I believe that everyone has a breaking point. That point may mean different things to different people. What makes me depressed and suicidal, may not make someone else feel depressed and suicidal. But I think that if everyone were forced to face their worst fears, that almost everyone would consider suicide. Exceptions would be those who believe that there is relief and redemption in heaven through religion, and those who have no feelings at all... but I don't know if these people would be considered "healthy" or "normal".

For those who say that they've never experienced any desire to end their own lives, I would say that they should consider themselves lucky, for never having had to face the kind of feelings and circumstances that would bring a person to such a point...

15. whataname

whataname Member

There's a lot of things we don't know about our human mind so you may not think you are, but its just not in your awareness.

16. cots

cots Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the response. I asked this question because I've had friends who told me they're sad and depressed but when the conversation leads to the subject of wanting to kill oneself, they all say it's not that bad. I'm probably the only one who's at the point where I've thought about suicide. It makes me wonder at which point does a person break, and why are people who call themselves "depressed" shocked when I share my suicidal thoughts with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.