Is everyone entitled to have children?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by boo, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I'm not asking that the government should go around arresting people and forcing them to the made sterile. I am just saying it is not right for a child to be born into a family which does not want him/her and can not look after them.
    To conceive a child is easy, but to raise one is a whole other level.
    It's easy to say you love each other so let's have a kid. It's a romanticized way of thinking at its best. In fact it is very unorthodox to get married and not have kids. At least in the world we live in. We judge people by the cover and the things you've accomplished is no different.

But so many children are abandonned, mistreated, miseducated that i cant help but to wonder, what if they had better parents? I mean the foundation to every person starts with their parents. And if the foundation itself is shaky then how can anyone build a solid life around it without hoping it wont collapse? I'm not really blaming the parents, but their lack of knowledge.

So Is everyone entitled to have children? Your thoughts

2. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I tend to feel that no one is entitled to have children. But that's another matter.

3. No kids

No kids Guest

Do not worried about it boo. I do not sex so I cannot get kids either.

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

No, I think those with serious hereditary conditions should not be allowed to reproduce (e.g. myself).

Not entirely sure of family effects. How do you raise a child properly? No one knows. Theories abound. There's a STRONG movement to banning corporal punishment in Canada, which I personally think is bad news for parents. My step-mom abhors anything like that, and her son disrespects her awfully badly as a result, and he's on his way to becoming completely out of control. But this is the style of parenting started by ... Dr Spock? The non-Vulcan Dr Spock? And it's become canon for parents.

I help raise Xav the way I was raised. This involves responsibility and punishment, sometimes physical... he respects me, and doesn't hold a grudge against me for hurting him when it's necessary. But I don't tell his mother, which probably makes it worse, because she thinks that time outs have finally solved his tendancy to hit people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.