Is false hope better than no hope at all?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by boo, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

False hope.... quite an oxymoron isn't it?

I had hope for things that I realize will never happen, and now that I know better I don't hope for anything. I just accept things as the way they are. Maybe I have reached a point where I do not have much hope at all, but at least I don't feel like I have been lieing to myself.

Studies have shown that depressed people have a more realistic self-image and are more realistically aware of their shortcomings than the non-depressed. This is arguable, but i think it's true.

What I do find very offensive is people giving me false hope. Even if it's with good intention. I'm a grown man, i don't believe in fairytales anymore. There will be no mother faerie that will grant me any wish.
    I know i know, the merciful/charitable thing to do is to give hope where there really is none. It works for some people.

But i also believe that when you have been fed false hope all your life, and when reality truly sets in, it will be a much harder transition. Not to mention the feeling of betrayal that will come with it.

Is false hope better than no hope at all? You be the judge.

2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

that's a hard one boo...
    sometimes the false hope can keep you going until things get better...so then it's not false anyway..
    sometimes false hope can give you motivation....idk.

3. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Definatly arguable, I'd argue that the depressed have a more fatalistic attitude than others.
    The example they used to give us when teaching at A-Level is a depressed student who fails an exam is likely to believe they "Are too stupid" rather than "I failed because I didnt study enough". Likewise if they pass they will put it down to luck or an easy exam rather than having worked hard.

Now Im definatly betting on the second options being the most accurate and I am hopeful that everyone can beat depression.

4. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

To an extent false hope is good. If we don't have any hope, chances are we're not very far from being dead :unsure:.

5. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

What? To believe that your life has meaning, that there's final justice, that all wrongs will be righted, and that you will get an eternity of happiness? Yes it's damn well better than knowing that you will die alone and forgotten.

To have a carrot in front of you makes you think you'll eventually get a carrot. It may be false, but it keeps you going. Not having a carrot is wretched.

That is, as long as you keep hoping. The moment you become aware that the carrot is fastened to you, that it moves forward with you, that you'll never get it..

6. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

I think depressed people distort the truth to a point where their r not able to see the truth objectively. False hope to a depressed person could in fact be a hand up and support but because of the depression any support or a helping hand is seen as hopeless and just delaying the inevitable and therefore one could label it as false hope when in fact its not. I think the betrayal comes from unrealistic expectations but thats just what i think personally.

7. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I think in general, I prefer fantasy over truth.

Fantasy is much more fun.
    Of course-- I also know that it's in almost all cases-completely false...
    but it's still more fun. - Probably one of the reasons why I'm still alive.

8. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

I've had it. I hate it. It almsot drove me over the edge.

I do like to fantasise though.

9. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what you've said there, except, I'm not so sure about the depressive realism, I've read a little about it, and there are arguments against it, it could be the case in some, but not necesarily the rule :p but yeah, false hope and all, when it sets in that you've been kidding yourself all along, its worse, and likewise, when people be nice to me, for the sake of being nice, as opposed to a plain, blunt, harsh, truth, which would ultimately be better for me, that iritates me aswell. Reality matters.

10. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

The flipside: being overly pessimistic.

11. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

Me too.

I love to fantasize (a positive, enjoyable way of escaping reality).

If I didn't, I would most likely be abusing hard drugs (a temporary, but very detrimental way of escaping reality) or dead (a permanent way of escaping reality).

When my life was good I lived in reality.

Then my life became horrible, so I abused hard drugs to escape reality.

Now, I just fantasize to escape reality and I don't use ANY drugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.