Is generating your own Persona fake?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Hache, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Say there is a different way you wanted to become, appear, be perceived as, perhaps for your own confidence, ego, vanity, is this fake, is it not you or true, is it just hiding. If you started doing things to try and be like something else, but that isn't really you until you become that, naturally, the personality you have is what comes to you naturally as you grow up, live, but is changing it fake and hiding, will people see through it.

Ok that probably makes no sense. A few examples i can think of.... Elvis wasn't Elvis, he became Elvis. A stage persona if you like, a media persona, what people perceived him, what he showed to people when he met them. Another one i can think about heaven forbid i use this example is Hitler, not in the same way as Elvis, but that he began to become and believe in the myth Goebbels created around him.

The thing is I doubt anyone who successfully changed set out with one style and said I will become this, it just happened and was put together, like the natural way to personality, so it would be fake to try and change over night and pretend to be someone else til you believe you are that person??

I say this because there is a way I want to be and become but is it kidding yourself
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I don't think you can successfully change your being. You can change much of what you think and all of what others think of you, but you're the same at the core. Elvis still wasn't Elvis, deep down, but he could have fooled himself superficially.

I constanly modify my behaviour, my thoughts, this process starting probably before I was two years old, given some stories my mom told. I see traits I like, I adopt them. I observe traits in myself that I don't like, I remove them - but my choices are based around my basic personality, which is more-or-less constant. I do modify my thoughts. I force myself to accept some things, and reject others.

But for all I do, I can't help being me.

[Also, totally Godwin's Law XD]
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Let's say a 'bad' person suddenly became religious and wanted to become a 'good' person. It's something they'd have to work at. It may be fake to suddenly say "I'm a good person" or a kind or confident person etc. etc. But it's not fake to say I'm working hard to become a different person. That's surely a good thing.
  4. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I see, we do all change things as we age but i think a lot of it is subconsious.

Let's say for example, someone stood tall, walked briskly, shoulders back, head held high as to give off a towering presence of pride, power and belief in public, but in the comfort of their own home it wasn't like this at all, does that mean that person is hiding or giving off an image of what he wants to be. I want to be that person I sometimes feel like in public 24/7. But in different zones, with different people I become different so I do not know what is real and what is fake, is the persona i try and give off me or not. Like is that me in certain situations or is that me covering up from the truth.

I can't understand it all, i'm finding it complicated lol
  5. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Good point, but if you click your fingers and all of a sudden act like that good or confident person does that mean that isn't you until you become that person without thought???
  6. Ziggy

I think people too readily define themselves. I'm not convinced by this idea of being 'me'. Am I a good person?
    - What if I think I'm not but what if other people think I am?
    - What if my intentions are good but the outcomes are poor?
    - What if I'm good because it's easy to be good, but when I'm put in a difficult situation I'll chuck my morals out of the window.

So I don't think I can say whether I'm a good person or not, I try not to define who 'I' am. Though I think we get an idea of whether we are getting better or worse, and so we can strive to improve. And if that's by improving in certain settings and not others then so be it.
  7. Ziggy

I read an interesting book once that said that different areas of the brain were set aside for different personalities that all communicated with each other. (it only becomes a disorder when they fail to communicate)

So for example when you go out with friends, a different section of your brain or personality, might take over from the personality that would be sat at home. It's called Multiplicity and argues that there is no single self.
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

EVERYONE is different in different situations. When's the last time you swore at your mother? Your friends?

You can not act the same and think the same in all situations... But you'll always be the same... And we're all fake to an extent. Your values clearly are opposed to fakeness, so I think anything you try to do will be fundamentally honest. You can't fool yourself, truly. You can rarely fool others, truly. Just act how you want to act, think how you want to think, and FEEL how you are.
  9. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Good and bad is subjective, an opinion, there are no set rules, so you could be good to yourself or to another individual

good advice :biggrin:
  10. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

You can become the way you want to be. That's not impossible or fake.
    If you know you're being fake and trying to be something that you know isn't you people will probably see through that.
    But the way you want to become could be you if that's how you really want to be and if it's what you truly want.
  11. Ziggy

Most of the terms in which people describe themselves are subjective though. And everything is so open to change. No matter how good we look in the evenings, we may look bad first thing in the morning. No matter how confident we can be with one group of people we may lose that confidence with another. If I think I'm smart I simply need to read some of my more stupid posts.

I think it's a false desire then to say one day I will look good, overcome my shyness, be smart or confident etc. because we will only ever acheive these things within a certain set of circumstances. Maybe what is fake is that people want permanence in things that are subject to change. Hence the money people spend on trying to combat losing their looks as they age.

Tomorrow I will simply be a different person to who I am today and I need to make the most of that in the most appropriate way, depending upon the situation I find myself in at the time, and not on a goal I set myself years ago.

True, it's the whole nature / nurture thing. Even our genes can alter themselves depending upon the environment. So I guess you can't consider who you are without considering the environment you're in.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2009
  12. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is a false desire or not. Because i'm not sure what is false and what isn't.

Perhaps those desires to be a certain way are catalysts to a bigger desire of contentment, happiness, self actualisation.
  13. Ziggy

Fair enough, I also agree the term 'false desire' didn't help much. Maybe an example is called for:

I think it's good if you exercise or study because you enjoy it, you give it a go and see how you get on. Whereas if your desire is to become a hunk or really clever, then I think that's not so good. Like money, great to make it so you can travel and enjoy life, but if your desire is to become a rich person then I think that's also a bit wrong. And finally helping people out is nice, brings its own rewards, but not to fulfill your desire to become a good person.
  14. Ziggy

I can really empathise with you here. Sometimes I've been out, met a lass, and it's gone really well, I've been chatty, funny (supposedly) and likeable. Great eh? Nope. Terrible. Because that person wasn't 'me', the next day I would know that 'I'm not funny, chatty and even my own parents don't like me - so who did she like?' My answer : a personality she created in own head that doesn't exist. Crap answer? Maybe. But obviously neither person could be defined as the 'real' one.

I think the times I've enjoyed going out the most were those where I wasn't concerned with who I was but I just enjoyed what was going on around me. Strange that.
  15. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Maybe it could have worked, if you were comfortable with who you are and what you were doing around her. I find it difficult to be in my comfort zone, but i can be in with parents and with close friends yet i'm completely different with the two.
  16. zzz

zzz Well-Known Member

When you go to bed at night your consciousness changes from the waking state to a sleeping state.

Then, whilst asleep, you may enter a dream state.

The dream is real experience, you can enjoy or suffer in this state, but it is as if you are not there to control or influence what is happening, it’s just going on.

Then you wake up and realize that you are something different from what you thought you were in the dream.

But you can usually remember the dream.

So who was observing the dream?

The being who observed the dream is the real you.

The person you think you are in your daily life did not observe the dream.

Then, every morning when you wake up you have to remember everything about yourself, or whom you think is the self. You remember your name, your occupation, your nationality, your family and friends, your situation and circumstances etc.

This is so well rehearsed that it happens in an instant and feels totally natural, so natural that you believe it is you.

But the truth is that anything that you can remember cannot be you.

You are the being that does the remembering.

So yes, your own personality is fake.

But it’s just a game and you can be anything you want. Nothing is right or wrong.

And one day you will wake up and realize that you are something different from what you thought you were and the game you are playing is something different from what you thought it was.

And you will be very happy when you finally realize the truth of your being.
  17. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

interesting view!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.