Is God real?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by see, Jan 14, 2008.

Is God real?

1. yes

15 vote(s)
  2. no

18 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. see

see Well-Known Member

If you have nothing left on earth you alone your life meaning less no matter what you do there is no reason there is no passion for life what do you do???? Some say there is a God some say that once you find God life will make sense there will be reason????????????? :unsure:
  2. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

God is real, religion is man made...

In my opinion of course...
  3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I believe I can prove it too, if anyone wants to question my opinion.
  4. ybt

ybt Guest

Don't expect to post what you did and get turned into a Christian. Blindly becoming religious is worse than not being religious at all. Anyway, I'm an athiest.
  5. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

Atheism is just as much an act of faith as adhering to another religion. We can neither prove nor disprove God's existence.
  6. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

Did you not say you were christian awhile back? Make up your mind athiest or christian?
  7. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I'd like to question if, if you'd like to fill me in?

I think God is real, after many years of sitting on the fench, I can finally say that. but people have gone into religion way too much, there are so many, how do you know which is 'right' or best. I think it's best to honour God as an individual. Read the bible on your own. Don't left the influence of extremist echo nonsense in your ears.
  8. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

There is a God, but that doesn't mean life makes sense, at least, not in a way humans can understand. We can't possibly think globally enough to account for the actions of an omnipotent God.
  9. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Ok, but before I do, I must clarify that I meant I believe I can prove that religion is man made, not the existence of God. Like NedFlanders said, no one can really prove the existence of God.

Also, this is just my view, so please anyone reading this don't get upset or anything. This is just my opinion and I am really not that important.

Here goes...

Religion is a man made manipulation plan and I'll tell you why. If you listen to every homosexual speak, 99 out of 100 will tell you that he was born that way and it wasn't a life choice. Now in the bible and every holy book it clearly says that homosexuality is a sin, so how can God create sinners? Not only that, but why would homosexuals choose to be gay? Choose to be ridiculed and abused (both mentally and physically) by straight people? I can tell you as a straight man that has never had a lustful thought or desire for another man in his life that there are some of us that have never even been curious, so I refuse to believe that homosexuality is a choice and that everyone has potential to be gay.
    Same with murderers, some people will argue that murderers were born with a chromosome inside them that make them kill, but how can God create a being and put a chromosome inside them so that they'll sin?
    Each holy book is littered with contradictions and mistakes. It looks as if it's been written by a righteous man trying to impose a law on bad minded and out of control people, not any God. For religion and it's teachings to be accurate, sins MUST be a choice and not something we are born with and that in my mind is proof that religion is false and not direct rules from God. There may be a God, I believe there is, but religion is the biggest scam ever sold and so many buy it.

I believe that one huge contradiction exposes all religion as a sham.

Just my opinion remember.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2008
  10. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I just wanna state that I'm Agnostic too, I don't believe we're meant to know anything about our true God until we die.
  11. Blackness

Blackness Guest

God knows that every person is born a sinner. but it is about controling and asking for forgiveness for the sins we commit, as long as we acknowledge that they are wrong it's relatively 'ok'. Apparently god didn't 'make' humans to be sinners but because of Adam transgression all human have been 'cursed' so to speak. Adam was tempted, who by? the devil? do we sin because of the devil? "The devil is a source of sin. His contribution to sin includes lust, murder, and lies."

"The sources of sin come from the works of Satan, mans corrupted heart, lust, Adam's transgression, and the beginning of life. Sin comes to all human beings as a result of the first sin of mankind through Adam."

In other words, it's all Adams fault that we sin. haha.

On the topic of homosexuality, I think it comes under the nature AND nurture debate....
  12. Esmeralda

The Bible did not say that being a homosexual was a sin. ACTING on your homosexual urges is a sin according to the Bible, but by far not the worst of them. It didn't even make it into the 10 commandments.

And re: murderers, maybe they are made and maybe they are born, but regardless, we all have a choice as to how we behave. I've wanted to punch a lot of people in the face, but that doesn't mean I acted on it.
  13. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Sins have differnt values? since when
  14. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

See, I think it's almost impossible for a lot of so called "sinners" to "control the urge." I doubt gay people could control who they love. But the whole "asking for forgiveness" thing's a little too hard for me to believe if somebody's just wiped out half a family with a chainsaw and left the other half to suffer and grieve for the rest of their existence. And Adam sinned and gave into temptation, but why do people of a completely different time (IE: now) have to suffer for this biblical figures greed?

I respect your faith though.

Hey, it's about this time that I wished my real name wasn't Adam... :laugh:
  15. ybt

ybt Guest

Oh, thanks! Yeah, let's take religion, and force somebody to answer a question. I'm an athiest, I don't believe God exists.
  16. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I agree, I don't think gay people can control who they love. I'm not saying I'm on their side but I guess it would be like me trying to 'love' females in that way...just seems impossible.
    People still suffer the consequences of Adams betrayal because we all originate from him (if you believe that...). He in a way cursed all of humanity forever...
    and don't worry about your name! Adam is a nice name:biggrin:
  17. Esmeralda

Are you saying that telling a white lie (no, you don't look fat) is the same as murdering a family of six? O.K....
  18. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

In the eyes of God I suppose it is the same. We all get forgiven as long as we repent (if religion's to be believed) anyway.
  19. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

I don't know. real is defined as Being or occurring in fact or actuality; having verifiable existence: real objects; a real illness. b. True and actual; not imaginary, alleged, or ideal: real people, not ghosts; a film based on real life. c. Of or founded on practical matters and concerns: a recent graduate experiencing the real world for the first time. realness
  20. Esmeralda

You may not be able to control who you love, but you CAN control how you act regarding who you love. I'm not saying one thing or another about homosexuality, I'm just using the Bible as a source and the Bible only states that homosexual sex is wrong, not homosexual feelings.

Some religions (Catholic priests, Buddhist monks, etc.) choose celibacy. This does not mean in any way that they do not have sexual feelings, just that they do not act on them (don't throw up the whole molester priest thing, it's been done and those men are going to have to answer for what they did, but they are by NO means the majority). We all have choices. Some men are inclined to have sex with women other than their wives, but ideally, they resist because they know it is wrong.

Now, what the real point should be is whether or not certain homosexuals believe that having sex with someone of the same sex is wrong. If they do, then they should abstain. If not, then I believe that if it IS a sin (according to God, the Bible, whatever) it is most definitely less grave because they are still obeying their conscience.

One might argue that even if God does not consider something to be a sin (let's say, stealing to feed one's starving family a la Jean Valjean), but the individual does, if that individual chose to go against their conscience anyway, they are still committing a sin even if technically, God does not see it as such, simply because in their mind, they are CHOOSING to do the wrong thing. In this respect, a sin against one's own conscience is one of the gravest sins. Sin is mostly about free will and intention, not arbitrary rules. When one chooses to go against their own conscience out of weakness, then they have sinned against themselves and have damaged their conscience and are therefore more likely to continue doing so, allowing for further infractions against his/her own beliefs. It gets easier every time, does it not?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.