Is going to the hospital worth it?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by swimmergirl, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

I should probably be inpatient, but I know it doesn't help resolve anything, it just is a safety net, a temporary respite, a band aid. Does anyone else struggle with getting help??

I hate admitting that I feel this way, that I want to die. I think maybe it is something I need to deal with, and don't need to be in the hospital, but then again I don't want to get to the point where I am bleeding to death, or overdosing and then get admitted. When do you know it is time for some intervention? How and who do you ask for help?
  2. ace

ace Well-Known Member

Sweety simply you're feeling like you're so down and distressed I suggest now would be a good time to go to hospital,and tell them every single thing that is possibly bringing you down.It won't hurt to go I promise and it can only be a good thing provided you get the right treatment,if you feel like you can't go on and are feeling so defeated I say "NOW"is the time to go please force yourself to do this hun.
  3. jstme

jstme New Member

I too suffer with trying to decide to go or not to go...I am there right now the thing we both evidently know is that it can sneak up on us and in a moment of weakness or extreme stress we do something to harm is easy for me to say to you go tothe hospital and be honest with them. they might just help you get through this moment in your life that things seem so bad,yet i dont have the courage to do that good luck to you i hope you get help and things get better
  4. netean

netean Active Member

There is an element of luck about going to hospital. Let me explain:

Some hospitals are well run, well staffed, full of wonderful people who really (genuinely) care, who will work you and be with you ever step of the way - through the ups and downs.
    In the well run hospital there will be staff that aren't as committed as that, and there may even be a few idiots staff there too. But on the whole it will be superb. Nothing like you imagine, better in ever way.
    If you go to a well run hospital, you'll change quickly, easily and you'll notice a big difference in yourself.

On the other hand, a not-so well run/funded hospital, won't be as good, the staff will be... ok... with just a few great people there. You won't get better as quickly.
    But here's the criticl thing: YOu WILL GET BETTER IN BOTH kinds of hospitals, but in the not so well run one, you might not notice that your getting better as easily, because the progress is more slow and gradual. BUT YOU ARE.

mostly, going into hospital is a good thing - and if you're having trouble deciding - imagine what you're life will be like if you dont. If you stay at home and carry on the way you are now?

If you go to hospital, it's a change of environment, it's a chance to get better. If you don't try you will never know!
  5. Zodi

Zodi Anitiquities Friend

I was getting better in the outpatient therapy. But, I lost my job and insurance, couldn't pay for COBRA so I am now out of luck.

I now have this option of sliding fee scale and we all know how bad that is. Been there, done that many times.

I hope you get better and have better luck than I.
  6. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

I have been in outpatient therapy, but I don't think it is enough, but the problem is I don't know what I need, I am just in pain, lots of it, but there is no "cure" for that, it is just something I have to live with. Like any illness I suppose my mind and body will one day no longer be able to take it and will just give out and I will die, just like any other physical illness.

Part of the problem is that I also don't seem to have the words or language to explain this pain to others in a way that makes sense or feels adequate enough. As cliche as it sounds, I don't feel like anyone else understands the pain and the depths of the despair when i apparently seem to function so normally. I am a fraud though, the outside does not match the inside at all.

I know there is no magic pill, no quick fix for post traumatic stress and depression, but something has to provide me with relief, I don't think I can take this intense pain much longer. I tell my therapist and doctor about this but nothing changes, they don't seem to have the answer either. I did recently switch to a new therapist with the hope that she might be better equipped to help me, but who knows. I really miss my old therapist now though and question if I made the right decision to switch. Anyway, I am so confused I can't stand it, and all I want to do is escape. I don't think i really WANT to die, I just want relief from the pain, the loneliness and the suffering that my mind is creating, and I want someone to save me, to fix me, to love me. What scares me the most is that I know no one person can do that for me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.