Is having a good childhood the key to being a 'normal' functional, successful adult?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I've often thought this, mainly because everybody I know (including myself) who has or has had issues in their adult life, has them because of something major that happened during their childhood.

What do others think?

2. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

Re: Is having a good childhood the key to being a 'normal' functional, successful adu

hi linds83
    hope you are feeling better
    I have to say I have read posts from people who claim they had a great childhood and feel guilty for having depression and issues.The truth is life can take a wrong turn for anyone and kids who had bad childhoods can grow up to have no depression issues and vice versa.It may be more likely but it isn't a rule by any means.Look at life..how so many random events can effect a life..it is in a sense chaos theory.Its unpredictable..and even if you had a bad childhood and are still in pain now and feel hopeless..every thing we DO and believe will effect our outcomes.

3. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

Re: Is having a good childhood the key to being a 'normal' functional, successful adu

I hope not I'm in the middle of my childhood and already fuzzed up,at that I wouldn't have my dream of going to college and becoming a zoologist.That be one fuzz up for me

4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

if it is, then i'm glad i didn't have that.

5. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I have not checked out any scientific evidence, but I've had several therapists who have told me that having a good childhood makes it more likely that you will be a successful, functioning adult.

In this scenario, a "good childhood" was defined as having LOVING parents without any traumatic incidents.

6. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I am sure that having a good childhood helps a person's chances of being a normal adult but I don't think it is the main factor, lots of people have had a good childhood and ended up being really screwed up as adults and others have had pretty messed up childhoods and turned out to be very normal. I always thought genetics played the most important part but there is probably countless factors.

7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It all depends some illnesses are hereditary and no matter how the child is raised the chemical imbalances are there and have to be corrected. Nature and Nuture both effect who we become and it is our coping skills that help us survive. Some are born with more of a survival instict then others as well I would say having a good childhood gives a good strong base for the person if something turns out wrong.

8. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Yes, definitely.

9. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

no having a fucked up childhood could be a blessing in disguise if you learn to find peace and happiness on your own and you get a greater appreciation for things

i had this gift problem is i fucked it up in the last few years

10. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I think somewhat, but you can always change things in your life if it doesn't turn out the way you want it to.

11. hornbeam

hornbeam Well-Known Member

:confused::nonchalance:I think having a good childhood is important but personally I think genetics play a big part in our lives.

You can have a bad childhood but have genetics that favour your chances of making it good.

No matter what genetics you have- you can change it all if you practice being what you want to be and having people around you that support you.

The above is all very well good when written down in theory - but practice is damn hard - but possible I believe. :nonchalance:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.