is it a crime to threaten suicide?

Discussion in 'Bullying and Violence' started by exgirlfriend, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exgirlfriend

exgirlfriend New Member

My exboyfriend won't stop contacting me even though i have not responded to him in nearly 4 months. A few days ago, he sent me this:

"Just like the play romeo couldn't live any longer without Juliet and so my last breath is done and my life has ended !"

I don't want to see anyone hurt themself, but I really have no 'good feelings' for this man. I just want to do the right thing.

I didn't respond, because I think it is a false alarm to get me to write to him. But, I'm kind of worried that if he really did it, maybe I should report it to the police? Would he get in any trouble for doing this (assuming he is alive and well)? Is it a crime to threaten to kill yourself?

2. Dragon

Dragon Staff Alumni

I don't believe it is a crime to threaten to kill yourself.

Harrassment, however, is a crime and if you have enough evidence (letters, texts, etc) you can report him for that.

If you think that he would actually attempt then it might be worth alerting the police, however if it proves to be a false alarm then it would be more likely that you would get into trouble not him.

I think that you did the best thing in not responding to him. If someone would stoop so low as to threaten suicide just to make you speak to them then they aren't worth your time. Hope you're feeling okay and welcome to the forum. :hug:

3. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

That's a halfassed attempt at sounding poetic, not a threat.

Call the police if and when he actually says, "I've got the gun to my mouth," or "I'm killing myself."

4. SelfMadePrison

SelfMadePrison Banned Member

My recommendation for future events is that you do forward any halfass or direct suicide threat to the police.. Suicide is something that happens, its not something to be shrugged off, and even people that seemingly have empty threats have gone through with it.. but the fact of this matter is its unfair for you to be put in a position like this and that is why I would forward any sort of correspondence to the authorities.
    The chances of you getting into trouble are very slim.
    At the very least it is in that hands of someone more equipped to deal with it in a professional manner (hopefully).

5. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Threats to kill himself are not against the law, if he threatened to kill anyone else then that is illegal.

After reading your post it sounds like he is harrassing you which is against the law, but i feel i need to warn you even if someone gets convicted of harrassment then its likely all they will get is probation and maybe community service at a stretch.

If you feel your in danger or if he is in real danger of carrying out his poetic threat then my advice is to get in touch with the police. They have the power to arrest him under the Mental Health Act.

Hope this helps.

6. dreaminghome

dreaminghome Well-Known Member

I do not think it's a crime
    And my ex did that too, threatened to kill himself if I didn't marry him.
    I didn't marry him.
    He's still alive.

7. exgirlfriend

exgirlfriend New Member

thanks to all of you for your responses. he did contact me a week later so i know he's still alive. as usual, i did not respond. i'm hoping he eventually gives up. oh well, it's not like he's coming over and knocking on my door, so i guess i can live with these emails.

i've saved many of them, including the one where he intimates suicide, and if he does that again (threaten to kill himself or similar), I will contact the police. not to sound mean, but i'm more aggravated with the harassment to me than i am about him dying. he's really a bad person. i think that involving the police will make him stop (because he'll be embarassed that others know about his actions), and that's really what i want.

isn't it amazing how abusive people will do the craziest things to those under their spell, but they go to great lengths to hide that same behavior? They can be the nicest people until you get involved with them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.