is it a good idea 2 tell the doctor u think of suicide alot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandyj101

i was jus wondering if any1 has directly told their doc/gp this?
would tellin him/her that u think of killin urself be enough for them 2 have u commited there and then? my doc knows iv got severe depress n anxiety.but iv never told him i think of killin myself alot.was considerin tellin him tomo 2 prehaps get some stronger meds or somethin.my fear is that he will not let me leave n call th police 2 hav me taken away.can this happen?im in th uk btw.
thanks x

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
It's a very good idea. I haven't told my doctor but I have told my counsellor. It really helps to talk about it. Not sure about being committed :unsure: A doctor did threaten to commit me once, but that ws because I was behaving bizarre and violent. I don't think they'd commit you for that alone but I'm not sure.
Hope it works out for you :hug:

mandyj101

thanks daisy chain x.i want 2 start bein honest with ppl about stuff.i do scare myself with how low i can get.like right now im ok-ish.i dont wanna die.but i know myself in th sense i will prolly get the feeling i do again sometime soon.iv had a rough couple of weeks.and iv already ovrdosed once since 2 weeks last time i went docs and SI.i dunno just worried what he will do if i tel him i want 2 die sometimes.being commited sounds scary :unsure:

ryanglander

I too have had similair fears. You could try and "feel him out". First just start by telling him you have had thoughts of suicide. He will probably ask questions like how would you do it, the more detailed your plan the more serious he thinks you are about suicide. Mabye you could give a vague explanation, tell him you are suicidal, but try to tell him that its less severe then it really is.

If he reacts well, mabye next visit you can try to be more honest with him, mabye you could ask him what he would do if your suicidal feelings increased to the point where you think about it often and have even considered suicide, see what he says he would do.

I myself am carefull what I say. If you think being admitted into a hospital is helpful, then be completely honest, remember hes there to help you, but sometimes people don't want to go into a psych ward against there will, either because they don't need it, or don't wan t it. Its your choice.

Ignored

Staff Alumni
It's highly unlikely that your scenario will come true. They will ask you how long you've felt this way, if you have a plan, the means of executing the plan, the intention of completing the plan imminently (ie in the immediate future). Your gp is much more likely to refer you to the cmht to speak to someone or look at medication, if the meds you're on have been ineffective. The nhs intend to keep as many people out of hospital as possible.... only if you are an immediate danger to yourself or more importantly, someone else would they consider sectioning you, and that isn't so easy. So if I were you I would be honest, and get the help that you need.

GA_lost

Talking about suicidal thoughts is one thing having plans or OD is another. Normally you would not be committed for thinking about it, but if you have a plan especially involving a sure lethal method will get you committed. Having OD is on the line between the two.

If you are not honest with your doctor they cannot help you. If you tell them you have thoughts they will want to know if you have a plan and the means to carry it out. They usually will not hospitalize you if only the thoughts are present. If hospitalization will help you, please do not discount the possiblity of using it as a resource.

mandyj101

thanku 4 th responses.i will try my hardest 2 tell him i think of it.but i wont tell him i hav planned it many times.mabye that will b enough 2 get th help without bein commited.altho then i think mabye i should be comited so i dont hurt myself anymor. :unsure: this is hard.i want 2 scream out loud right this min!hopefully i will b able 2 tell him somethin.mabye jus see how he reacts 2 it-2 if i tell him more. x

mandyj101

hi every1 just thought id post after being 2 the docs tday.i was a bit of a mess in there!couldnt stop cryin.but i somehow managed 2 tell him.i asked him 2 promise not 2 have me comitted then told him th truth.that im still self harmin and th thoughts of suicide are v frequent.i feel a bit better 4 telling him.hes changed my meds from citaloprm 2 sertraline which i think is zoloft.and wants 2 see me every week.hes also arranging some1 2 see 2 talk things through with.
was scary telling him but i did it!
thanks 4 th gd advice x

sorry 2 hear that junkie_returns.mabye u could see a diff doctor? x

boo

You might think twice on who you tell about your suicide plans. Last time I told someone about my suicide feelings I ended up in a mental ward. Not fun i'll tell you this much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00