Is it considered...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by meaningless-vessel, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

...to be an eating disorder when you're just not feeling exceptionally hungry?

I've had personally very little of substance since a meal on Dec 26th (about 7:30pm), nibbling at silly bits here or there after a double helping nearly of Christmas dinner - and one 5/6 piece breakfast at work on 29th.

Other than that i've been eating a few celebrations (tin of sweets), a few liquorice allsorts, and toast.

I need all the energy I can get for work but I seem to be telling myself that i'm ok and its alright for me to not eat.

2. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

Not being hungry and therefore not eating is not by itself an eating disorder.

Not being hungry and eating anyways can be part of an eating disorder, but lots of people do that.

If you are denying yourself nutrition on purpose when you know you need to eat, it's not the healthiest thing and can lead to problems with your health, even if you're not underweight. I had a few low blood sugar incidents a couple semesters ago in school when I was only eating green apples and crackers for weeks.... There are some situations where you'll really do damage to yourself, have electrolyte problems, pass out, become anemic...

So anyways from all that crap what I wanted to say was no, avoiding eating when you're not hungry is not unhealthy. But you need a certain amount of calories to live on and just snacks is not good enough. Make sure you get the bare minimum BMR (probably 1-2K calories depending on your size) even if you're dieting.

3. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Is it possible that I have one and am just scared to admit as to why?

*Losing a friend of 5 years has hit me hard - not passing away but my mouth got me into trouble.
    *Not seeing my 6 year old son in nearly 5 years
    *Splitting with a girlfriend
    *Low on funds - risking not only myself but 3 other people's lives.

I see them all as potential factors. Or combined they could take devastating effects.

Overall I'm scared because I don't think I'm giving myself the chance to have my minimum BMR.

4. Medusa.

Medusa. Well-Known Member

Is there anyway you can apologize to that friend?
    Could you also see your son?
    I'm sorry about the other two I can't think of anything that might help.

They can be potential factors its all about how you deal with them, we all deal with things differently.

Could you try having a little more is there just no way?
    Is there someone you can see to help you sort out these things you're dealing with?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.