Is it dangerous if heart beat you very fast?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Hurted, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

So there are times, at least once every hour when my heart start to beat extremly fast.... my record is 38 beats in 15 seconds...

My heart beats fast all the time lately but 38 beats in 15 second scares me... is it dangerous? could it be becasue of too much energy drink?

Please answer quickly because im scared:sad:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2008
  2. Dragon

Dragon Staff Alumni

Hey there hun. I have the same problem, it's called heart palpitations. I went to the doctors with it and he didn't find anything wrong (apart from my resting heartbeat being 91bpm)..

I later found out that heart palpitations were a symptom of iron deficient anaemia, is it possible that you could have that? Are there any medicines you're on that have palpitations as a listed side-effect (if not, it may well be worth researching your meds to find any unlisted side effects).

If you're very worried it may be a good idea to visit your doctor and get yourself checked out.

:hug:

3. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I dont take any medicine...

I have never have problems with my heart, always when i went to doctors they say everything is OK with me... I have this problems last month... can it be connected with panic attacks? I dont know whats normal pulse, but lately, always when i hold my chest i feel that my heart beat much faster than ussually... sometimes i even dont have to hold my chest because i feel how fast my heart beat without it...

4. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

At the moment my heart beat 90 times on minute, what i think its normal... but still i feel it more than ussually if you know what i mean, and ussually my heart is slower than 90 beats per minute...

5. Dragon

Dragon Staff Alumni

It could be connected with panic attacks.. have you been having those often?

6. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Well... i had them very often 10 days ago... but last then 10 days they are not so often and they are very mild...

7. Dragon

Dragon Staff Alumni

They can be caused by anxiety and stress (so worrying about them will cause them to happen more often), also, and if you've been drinking a lot of coffee sometimes caffeine can cause them.

When you start feeling it, take deep breaths and try to stay calm. Works for me :smile: :hug:

8. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

thanks for advice:hug:

I know that i shouldnt drink 3 sharks:laugh:

About anxiethy... i have obsessive compulsive disorder plus social anxiethy... not severe, but it still bother me a lot, expecially images that i cant get out of my head... and maybe i have Generalized Anxiety Disorder too...

Ps: Do you know how can i translate it into my language?

I know what anxiethy mean, but dissorder must have different "official" name in my language...

And really thanks for your help, im much calmer now:)

9. Dragon

Dragon Staff Alumni

Sorry, I can't help you on the language part ^^; Maybe ask someone in your country who's fluent in both languages if they know (if you know someone like that)?

Glad you feel calmer :hug: Take care.

10. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

try google language tool - what language is it you speak?

11. Cammus

Cammus Guest

Hi :p

English isnt really my first language but i am a doctor in my country.

Pretty much all the posters above summed it up well.

Tachycardia happens in a large number of situations. It can be a heart problem known as arrythmia but in young health people without diabetes and hypertension its usually due to anxiety and stress.

Its not very helpful to keep measuring your heart beat rate as it changes a lot. If you run fast your heart beat will go up as high as 140 per min. If you are resting it shouldnt be more than 80 per min.

It also changes with your physical conditioning, athletes will only beat at 50-60 per min while resting because their cardiovascular system is so great that they can pump enough blood with just that.

Lots of medications can cause it as well, caffeine, energizer drinks , some medications used on asthma.

Panics attacks are classic to cause it, followed by a sudden death sensation , anxiethy and trembling. These symptons only last a few mins and usually wakes the person at night.

The trick part is knowing if its an organic disease or not. Usually like i said true arrhythmias only appears in older people with other disease such as diabetes and hypertension.

There are a few arrythmias that occurs in the young and its hard to spot them because the electrocardiogram (EKG) only spots it when the person is feeling the palpitation at the exact moment of the exam. Doctors can also use the Holter method, which consists of using a small device home 24 hours which records the EKG and makes it easier to spot any brief arrythmia that usually gets better before the person can reach an ER.

Keep in mind these exams are usually only used when theres a real possibility that the heart palpitation is actually arrythmia because in the vast majority of the cases its due to anxiethy or panic attacks (again on young people with no other diseases).

There is treatment for the heart palpitation of anxiethy just go see your doctor if it bothers you that much.

12. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Thanks for help:)

13. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Tachycardia isn't dangerous if the heart beats in a normal rhythm.

14. Hatemylife88

Hatemylife88 Well-Known Member

When i had panic attack in the past my doctor just told me the same, he said that if the panic attacks contiues they will give me something that i should wear 24h and it will record everything, but hopefully it stops so...:cool:

15. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Haha i've recently had the 24hr heart test! If you want to know anything about it then feel free to ask me :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.