Is it Fair 2 Ban the Homeless From Neighborhoods?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Righteous, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Righteous

Righteous Well-Known Member

I may be homeless, but I'm living a very comfortable life. U can read my topic about my homeless situation for more details. So when I refer 2 homeless people, I'm talking about people who have 2 eat off the ground, don't have good clothes, and have virtually no money.

Here in Little Rock, Arkansas a plan has been made to use a building in a east side neighborhood into a place for homeless people 2 get some resources. This is something I read in our newspaper. Now an old building that use 2 be a Job Corp building is not currently being used. The building is very tall, and it has a lot of rooms and space. There is a plan for the city 2 turn into a place 2 help out the homeless. Now its not really going 2 be a homeless shelter, I believe its just going 2 be a place for homeless people 2 come get a meal, some clothes, take a shower and stuff like that.

The problem is that some people in the neighborhood ain't pleased with this because they don't won't homeless people in their neighborhood. They feel that the building will attract too many homeless people and some of them may want 2 drift around the neighborhood. They don't feel its safe for them and their children because some homeless people deal with issues like stealing and mental illness. The residents also feel that the place will eventually turn into an overnight shelter, which could mean that even more homeless people will be around the neighborhood.

Well, the residents kind of make sense, but I just don't feel that we should just say fuck the homeless. Some homeless people are homeless because they truly just have bad fortune in life and can't find a good job. I'm sure that some homeless people have a job, but if u only make $6 an hour and only work 16 hours week, u can't afford a home. If people don't want the homeless around the neighborhoods, maybe the city government should construct a building in the outskirts of the city in a somewhat rural area. Then the city could use a bus to load up the homeless, take them 2 the building, and once everything is done for the day; load up the homeless again and take them back 2 the city and drop them off around the business districts so they can have a proper ally 2 sleep in. Or they could take however many homeless people they can 2 a shelter. I would say that the government should just give every homeless person a dorm room of their own with free electricity and give them a $100 welfare check every week but in this world, such a good idea will only remain a fantasy.

What do u guys think? I know some of u are from Philadelphia, New York, California, Florida, London, Asia and other places where homelessness is a much more serious issue than it is here in Little Rock. How do the city governments deal with homeless people in your city such as welfare checks, shelters and other types of assistance?
  2. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

Each situation is different, but what isn't different is that no matter where there are homeless (which is everywhere) no one wants them around. Much of the complaints are legitamate, but that doesn't help the issue any, and the issue is so complex that only having one answer doesn't begin to cover it. So people who are trying to help just do what they can - and others who want to pretend to be caring and altruistic (who may give organizations money to help or whatnot) still bitch when the homeless live anywhere near them. They don't want to see it. But the issues can be from women and their children leaving an abusive environment, children/teens running away, alchoholics, drug addicts, people who are out of work and looking, people who have jobs and can't afford to live on their income, mental health patients... etc. etc. ad infinitum. Some homeless people get welfare or SSI/SSD (and either choose to not live indoors, or can't take care of themselves, or can't afford a place) and some don't. Most are pushed under the rug or between the cracks. Some homeless/poverty organizations help, others simply abuse the 501c3 and take it all for themselves. Many 501c3 orgs are religious, with their own agendas. Homeless are better off in large cities, due to more opportunities, but even then are chased out of everywhere where they may find a place to plant themselves for the night. And sometimes rightly - because there are no bathrooms to use, and they end up fouling up or trashing up places. But again, that doesn't help the issue. Some places (such as Portland, Or.) have set up "tent cities", where homeless have gotten together to build themselves a place to live, and even these places (generally out of the way of most of society) are still complained about.

This is entirely a societal issue, and until everyone is willing to cooperate and bend to help everyone else, this issue (which is millenia old) will never go away.

On the other hand - with our economy, many are soon going to be finding themselves in exactly this position.
  3. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

What I don't get about the homeless is why they stay in cold weather cities. If I become homeless I'm going to San Diego where it's always nice and warm.
  4. killtomorrow

killtomorrow Well-Known Member

what?! people are so fucking mean.
    thats like kicking people out of tent city after they have been evicted from their homes and have no place to go
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

killtomorrow: they do that all the time in Edmonton IN WINTER. Edmonton where it gets to -40C pretty easily in winter.
  6. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Well, I don't see homeless people around here but I'm aware that it's an issue in some places.

To answer the basic question, I think homeless people should be able to pass through any city or town they want to. If people don't want to look at homeless people, they should get involved and try to do something to help homeless people.

I've heard of instances where a homeless guy is walking along the road and a cop sees him and gives him a hard time, etc. That's just dumb. I'm also aware that it's basically illegal to be homeless in some places. That makes no sense either because it's often not really a choice. A lot of homeless people have serious mental health issues. I think any community of any size can afford a modest homeless shelter. Maybe it wouldn't be the Hilton but it could be a basic facility to get people out of the weather.

It doesn't even take much of a structure to accomplish it. A person who's used to sleeping outside on the ground is going to be very comfortable in anything more substantial than a sleeping bag on a concrete floor.

I just don't see how people of conscience could mistreat the homeless. Even if you think it's their fault, it's just a sad situation for anyone to be in.
  7. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

ok. question. If you give a building as a home to the homeless, are they still homeless..? Problem solved. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I think it's appalling. I know that people want their families to be safe, but hell how can the community ban someone just because they have fallen on hard times? You may as well just shoot them then and there and the principal will be the same - too lazy to help them, so make them someone else's problem. That's just wrong in my opinion.
  8. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

It is such a shame that in this day and age people can look the other way at those less fortunate. Homeless people have that way of life for a number of reasons, drugs, alcohol, mental health, relationships or financial.

I remember watching a TV problem a couple of years ago, it was a reality show about some tribesman from a pacific island who came to the uk on a visit. Whilst in Manchester, the village chief started crying when he saw homeless people and he wasn't able to comprehend the fact that we have so many empty buildings and so many homeless, yet we couldn't fust the two together.

I can understand how some people might feel uneasy or fear for their safety among the homeless, but this is no excuse to look the other way.

I grew up in Leipzig in the GDR, before reunification with the west, we had no homeless people and no unemployment. When we came to the UK in 1988, I was amazed at all these people living in doorways and park benches.

My view on homelessness is probably a minority view, but I feel thats those of us in society that are in a position to help, should. So is it fair to ban the Homeless from neighbourhoods? I say no.

40 Jahre DDR
  9. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

Yeah, in many places the cops will come to the out of the way places that homeless people are living/camping out and destroy their little areas. They go through, destroy the camps, destroy everything in the camps and get rid of the "'problem". So those who have nothing and nowhere to go suddenly have less. It's the cruelest thing imaginable.

Naw, it's more than that, its actually against the homeless and those in poverty. Even with "a place to go" many people living destitute are given a harder time by the police, society and the government.

Also, many homeless people don't want to move indoors. That's a fact.

I worked as a homeless activist all during my 20s. I grew up on the street from age 13 until I was in my early 20s, and then had to go back due to poverty in my mid-late 20s. I'm on the verge again now, with the economy the way it is. This issue is very complex. Its societal.
  10. Righteous

Righteous Well-Known Member

Just where exactly are some tent cities. I believe i heard of one on the news somewhere in Nevada. U guys seem 2 be describing tent cities like this one location in this Playstation 2 game I got called Yakuza
  11. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

Hey Brighid Moon,

I was actually just joking around. I know it is much more complex, and giving them a home doesn't solve their problems. I didn't mean to minimize the problem, only provide a little light humor (obviously failed.. :tongue:) I'm sorry your having trouble again. I hope everything works out!

12. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

NIMBYism at its finest.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.