is it happen to you that you wake up while you are sleeping and feel nervous afterwar

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by asking_advice, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asking_advice

asking_advice Well-Known Member

is it happen to you that you wake up while you are sleeping and feel nervous afterwards?

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Re: is it happen to you that you wake up while you are sleeping and feel nervous afte

It happens to me...I do not remember many of my dreams anymore so I suspect it has something to do with them...hope you are feeling better...J

3. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Re: is it happen to you that you wake up while you are sleeping and feel nervous afte

Very much so. For me its like being jolted into terrifying feeling. I wake with great fear. This was happening so many times every night that I had to get pills to help me stay asleep. I also, since that started, go to sleep with the television on. Somehow that helps. I turn it off when I know that I will not be waking up again. But the pills do help a lot. I am sorry that you are dealing with something similar

4. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

This definitely happens to me all the time. Sometimes I can't remember the anxiety dream/nightmare, but most of the time I do. I usually fall back to sleep pretty quick and in the morning I only have a vague recollection of it:(. However, I'll still usually feel anxious in the morning.

Xanax helped with this a lot for a while, but it doesn't work nearly as well for me now since I got used to it (tolerance). Not sure what meds you are on but benzos work well for helping prevent nightmares/anxiety dreams, especially anxiety dreams. That's one of the main reasons my doctor gave me xanax.

Do you vividly remember the nightmares when you wake up in the morning? I was told by my psychologist that that is the most important thing...not remembering them or at least only having a vague recollection of them.

5. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

This has been happening to me the past few months. I describe the feeling upon awakening as having just bungee jumped fifteen stories- it's horrible. I have to sit up or walk around and tell myself I am not losing my mind and attempting to go back to sleep is usually unsuccessful.

I can only guess this has been happening because my anxiety has become all day chronic and my nervous system is constantly overstimulated. I have been setting aside at least half an hour a day to meditate and it has been helping. I try to keep my anxiety control drug free because the anti anxiolytic medications are habit forming and benzodiazepines can intensify depression.

Some other suggestions for this particular problem are to avoid dehydration (it stimulates the adrenal glands) and avoid salty or heavy foods (especially meats) soon before bedtime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.