Is it just me, or?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by srhx, Sep 1, 2016.

1. srhx

srhx Member

So yesterday my step mom and I went out shopping so I could get myself out of the house and I ran into a male friend of mine that I had a brief fling with a couple years ago. We said hi and went about our days but he messaged me on Facebook later that night with small talk and I replied and we've been catching up a little bit. I don't have any feelings for him whatsoever anymore, but for some reason I still have this overwhelming feeling of guilt for talking to him because I'm still coping with my breakup.

My ex and I haven't spoken in almost three weeks and it's definitely been really hard on me but I've been keeping myself distracted with school as much as possible. I'm afraid if I stop going for too long, I'll break down about it again. I just feel like every time my friend messages me, in the back of my mind I'm wishing it was my ex and that's where the guilt is coming from? I don't know. It's all really confusing because my ex hasn't reached out at all and I don't think he's going to again, so I shouldn't feel like this. Like I said, I don't even have feelings for my friend so it doesn't make sense to me. :/ I've been wanting to have my friends back and now that one of them has actually come around again, I immediately want to run the other way.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I am sorry you are feeling so confused right now and in emotional pain perhaps just tell the friend for now you are just not up to talking to anyone . In time maybe you will be able to move forward but go at your pace ok
  3. srhx

srhx Member

Yeah, maybe I should. I just feel bad because he hasn't done anything wrong and I don't want to come off as being rude. He doesn't know about the breakup, so. I thought talking to a friend would make me feel better but I guess I need some more time alone.
  4. narc0tics

narc0tics Member

You should consider being straight forward with your friend about what you're feeling and thinking about. As for the ex thing; I can relate, I guess I still hold onto some baggage that I shouldn't. I think about her a lot but there's well.. not much I can do about it.. I kinda just gotta move on. Hope you feel better.

It's generally better to be honest with your feelings, specially if it involves others.