is it legal to move out of your house at 17

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Chernarus, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chernarus

Chernarus Well-Known Member

hell my fucking family is the whole damn reason im so fucked up, so in the USA can i move out at 17.

2. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

Yes, you can legally move out of your parents house if you have a stable job and are able to prove that you can live on your own,it's call being Emancipated.

Very few US states allow the emancipation of minors, in those that do the minor must follow the prescribed legal procedures through the court of jurisdiction.
    The legal age of majority for most US states is 18, in a few states it is older. That being the case a minor cannot LEGALLY move from the family home. If the parents agree to the move and the minor's new residence is considered a suitable environment, the minor qualifies under the state compulsory education laws then it is unlikely authorities will intervene.

If the parents do object to the move they have several legal options to rectify the situation.

3. Chernarus

Chernarus Well-Known Member

thanks

4. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

No problems. Hope things get better.

5. Theory

Theory Well-Known Member

I know this isn't my topic but since it's been asked and all I'd like to know about the canadian laws for that. I am also sick of my jerk father and wished i could just runnaway sometimes. But i've got no cash nor job and ain't alowed cause of father. What if I run away is there a place, governmental and anonymous, place to stay whilst waiting for a plan? In canada. im in alberta im gonna be 17 in one week. (sorry for stealing your thread Chernamus.. :sad: )

6. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

If I were you I'd go and get a small part time job anyway so long as it does not mess up your education. That dosn't really make sence though, why would any dad, no matter how much of a jerk he was, prevent his child becoming a responsable person and looking after themselves? You could even ofer your parents a portion of your wage for board then, that would prove your responsability even more.

Maybe he's scared it'll screw up your schooling, I don't know. If I did not want someone around anymore I'd be wanting them to get a job because that means as soon as your 18, you can leave and start a life for yourself.

If the law in Canada says you can leave home at 17, then you really need to find your options out. Once you have, if you find something your comfortable with, then don't ask, just tell him what your doing. Somewhere you will have to make a stand.

Here in England you can legaly leave home, with no complex legal procedure, get a job and a place of your own at 16.

7. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

It depends on the state you live in. In mine, a 17-year-old is considered a legal adult.

8. Tecky

Tecky Well-Known Member

hmm... can you stay at a homeless shelter and live there till you are 18 and able to find a job?

I don't really know the full story of what's going on between you and your family, but if there's abuse going on, you should seek legal aid.

9. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hell I never had to ask because my parents booted me out when I was seventeen, because I was coming home stoned all the time. When I think back on those times I understand that I was retaliating for making me move to Texas. I was a surfer dude from Florida who wore muscle shirts, baggies and flip flops all the time. My first day of school in Texas I went to school like that and they sent me home and told me to come back when I could dress appropiatly.(jeans,cowboy boots, and western cut shirts).Damn it man, I was pissed, I wasn't use to wearing that much clothing. Anyhow now that I have drifted off subject!! Yes you can be imancipated at the age of 16. My daughter did and found her own apartment by herself. You just have to show you can maintain on your own. Good Luck to you and let us know how you make out. Take Care!!~Joseph~

10. Theory

Theory Well-Known Member

wow! surfers dudes are awesome! (lol cowboy boots) poor you! :biggrin:
    thank you! hope your all right with your daughter gone... maybbeee too personal.:unsure:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.