Is it normal not to care about yourself but to care about others?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by wibble, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

Right, quick question.

For ages now, I've felt that, I dont really give a shit what happens to me at all, I have no worth, but I get really worked up if my friends and family are upset or get threatened.

Is this normal, or does it make me a sociopath or something like that?
  2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

it just means that maybe you feel more comfortable relating to other people's problems rather than your own. maybe you feel numb or you're not in touch with how you feel so you can empathise with how other people feel. i've been like this a lot, it can be an escape to escape whatever hell i'm feeling could be for loads of reasons really.
  3. Kemra

Kemra Well-Known Member

Been like that for years myself Wibble, I actually think its one of my saner parts, I often call it my last remaining spark of humanity that I can still care about others while the rest of my emotions come and go.

With all the uncaring people and the saying 'Look after number one (yourself)' becoming a mantra to most of the world's population with disastrous consequences.. I think the only normal people are those who care for others more than themselves. So no, it dosen't make you a sociopath or anything bad.
  4. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

It sounds like you have low self esteem. If anything, you're the opposite of a sociopath. Sociopaths are egocentric and will use others to get ahead in life. You're not like that at all.
  5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Agreed. If you notice that you have caring feelings for others that is definitely not the sign of a sociopath! Sounds like you know what you have to do. Extend your caring feelings to include yourself :hug:. Easier said than done :heart:
  6. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I am the opposite, I really dont give a shit about other people but really care about myself, I also care about animals, I care more about animals then most people
  7. lost43215

lost43215 Well-Known Member

Im exactly like this... and know lots that are like me too. It's perfectly normal tho.... it's definately a good people quality. Also means we have somewhat low self-esteems of ourselves and just need to think more about ourselves... but we should stop caring for others too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.