is it normal to be traumatized by your suicide attempt?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by undercoverlover, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undercoverlover

undercoverlover Well-Known Member

i have been experiencing flashbacks/panic attacks/outbursts/horrible memories all related to my suicide attempt and being in the emergency room where i can feel the pain i was in and taste the charcoal they made me drink and other things like that and its terrifying me. my therapist said we would talk about it next week but i was just wondering, most people dont seem to talk about trauma afterwards...is it normal?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yes it is very normal hun to have after affects of suicide attempt You are not alone there hugs

3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

yes it is. Because it was a traumatic event in your life. Talking about it with you therapist is going to help and talking about it here will help too :) but it is very normal...

4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yes, it is normal, and keep talking about your feelings...it will be good to let everything out. I am sorry you are feeling so shaken up, but I hope things will start to get better soon :hug:

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

It is entirely normal. I feel the same about a certain attempt, talking does help. :)

6. notloved

notloved Member

For sure. I feel ashamed but angry (that I failed) and being treated badly by the mental health team afterwards doesn't help.

7. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

Yes it is very normal x

8. ali 56

ali 56 Well-Known Member

Yes totally agree the thoughts are still with me that night when 4 doctors were around my bed trying to save my life, It's hard sometimes especially when I think was that really me ?? Sometime it hurts beyond belief but I do l know how I got in that postion and never want to experience it again so fight I will and I mean that as If I do not I will hurt someone I have grown close too real bad and I do not want to put them through that and I mean that sincerly with my heart. For the first time ever I thought about someone else the other night. Distractions help to re focus so please not try on dwell on the past and hopefully anything will help - take care Alison
    And also no nobody talks about it also such a taboo subject so it hurts also as it's another form of rejection so I live in a world full of lies where so few people know the real me annoying at times but makes for easier times that's why I believe the hurt stays in for much longer as you cannot free yourself !! just a thought

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
  9. TaylorCameron

TaylorCameron Member

I have trauma from two suicide attempts...

Everytime I go to the bathroom,there is some discomfort and I get a reminder of what it was like to be in the ICU with acute kidney failure.

And when I get chest pains I am reminded of the near heart attack I experienced after OD'ing on antipsychotics.

Keep pushing through,I wish you all the best :)

10. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

It's been just over a year since my traumatic experience after a suicide attempt where i was in a coma in the icu for 9days. I still have constant thoughts of it even though i don't know what happened since i was unconscious whe. Ems found me. Im haunted everyday and can't stop thinking about it. Im stuck.

11. BornAgain

BornAgain Well-Known Member

Yes, it is something you will never forget, I feel guilty everyday after 2.5 years, not depressed, but ever since don't want to do much on my personal time, can't do art either, physical trauma as well, leg, hip, knee, fingers, toes, top of foot, muscles still hurt.

Never think about hurting myself though, happy to be alive with my children, giving them lots of love, if I had died, their trauma would now be unbearable for them.

Love Life, if others don't let you love it or make your trauma bigger, stay away from them.

All the blessings to you.

12. mechanic

mechanic Member

I have never attempted but I have had post traumatic stress after being restrained and beaten for what seemed like a lifetime, flash backs, nightmares, panic attacks etc. it took me to a near breaking point until I was eventually persuaded to talk about it.

13. the black raven

the black raven Well-Known Member

Someone I'm resistant to traumatic event, even failed suicide attemp don't leave me scared or anything. I think I'm just weird lol...

14. the black raven

the black raven Well-Known Member

Somehow* I lost "Edit" Option, don't know how to edit this anymore, don't want people to misunderstand, I guess it is okay to double post...maybe, because it's a day apart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.