Is it normal to hear voices when you're tired?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by mortdesinos, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

I can't remember what the voices were saying, they were talking randomly and weren't bothering me too much. I took Zyprexa and fell asleep. Lately, I've been feeling very stable. Could the voices be a warning sign that I should watch out for a bp episode or do you think they are perfectly normal?

2. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

Are you bipolar?

Is one of the side-effects of Zyprexa hallucinations? When did you begin taking the Zyprexa?

Have you heard voices before? And were they a sign to you of something? Or is this a new occurance?

Also perfectly normal people, under extreme stress, can have transient hallucinatory experiences that don't mean they're anything but that - transient. However you say that you're feeling stable.

I would speak to your doctor about this, in case it's brought on by the medication, or in case you need the medication level worked on, or medication changed.

On edit: it also could have just been an episode of a half-dreaming state as well. But I'd still talk to a doctor.

3. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Zyprexa is an antipsychotic medication. It treats and prevents hallucinations and bipolar disorder. It's also used as a powerful anxiety-reliever/sedative in doses of 1.25-5 mg (it can be as powerful as Valium in some, so it's often used to replace benzo).

Hearing voices is NOT normal. See your professional immediately! If Zyprexa doesn't work to take away your voices, then you probably need another medication. There are many other antipsychotic approved for both psychosis and bipolar treatment at the same time.

4. mortdesinos

Hi, Bri-moon and Little_Me,

I think you are right, the hallucinations may be transient, and I was stressed last night. I have gotten them before, but always in a different situation, depending on my mood (I do have bipolar.) Considering that my mood is not fluctuating so much, I'm not going to worry- and I don't worry about the right things often enough anyway- but I will talk to my dr about it. Thank you.

5. mortdesinos

Having said that,

I'm getting irritated and impatient, and it's not good.

6. christian_1990

christian_1990 Well-Known Member

7. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

It is normal for me to "hear" voices in my head - that are me - when I am quiet, and moreso when I am tired...not halucinations but the result of differing points of view or aspects of who I am that have been walled away from childhood on due to the abuse I recieved.

As I integrate these different pieces into my daily functoning - the voices become quiet, under stress I "break apart

8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

yes. i'm pretty aware of the nature of what i hear. i know when it's inward chaos, because i'm dying and i'm suffering, or because of lack of sleep, or......something else that is outside of myself.

but many people hear things when they are about to sleep. or when they are overly tired or exhausted due to whatever.

if you're likely to go manic of have a mood swing then it could be a sign to slow down and take things slowly and gets lots of rest. i do this a lot. yesterday i slept, i could really feel i needed it and i was having a lot of lucid dreams which is a sign that i'm exhausted.

9. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

i hear them daily, regardless of how I feel, even with my meds.

10. Robin

Robin Guest

I used to have a lot of problems hearing scary noices, occasional voices outside my head and many voices which weren't mine in my head. The best thing to do is to see a dr and tell them about any new symptoms you are getting.

Aggression is a good sign that the depression is getting worse or like others have said you are getting very stressed, also, if you are stressed and settling down for bed or just waking up even normal people can hear voices or smell strange things, a lot of this is down to what they call hypnogogic hallucinations and can in fact be pretty common.

However, it's not up for the likes of me who purposely avoids any reading any material on mental health (I can be suggestible which makes me prone to feeling and experiencing sensations that I have no illness for) to tell you why you are experiencing these sometimes very scary things.

Get seen by a trained doctor who has experience diagnosing symptoms like these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.