Is it possible to damage muscles with cutting?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Hurted, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I used to cut for the period of 1 year, then i stopped (it was one year ago).

After i stoped, i "changed" cutting for piano. I've been playing piano for 10 years, but i stopped for 2 years and then started again one year ago. Right now i'm expiriencing pain in my muscles. Piano injuries are very common, but i can't beleive that i injuried my hand so soon (1 year after i restarted). Is it possible to damage muscles with cutting? I have to stop playing for at least 2 months and it's making me depressed.
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Yeah, definitely. They should heal in time, though - cutting damage + repetitive piano strain could be a combination to disable you.
  3. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Yes yes yes!

Besides having scars on my body, I have some phantom pains from when I've nicked nerves. It's pretty much the worst outcome that can happen to you if you Self injure with blades. And really only happens if you're a deep self-injurer.

Still the pain will go away, and since you play the piano (good for you! I love playing instruments), just keep doing those finger stretching exercises they make office workers do.
  4. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Hm.... thanks for replys. I can't understand this. Why does injury (in case that it is because of SH of course) needs one year to occur?
    The other thing is that i was never the "deep" cutter, except for the few times, when i lost control.
    The other thing is, that i am experiencing the pain in both hand, in all "parts". I suppose that there are small possibilities that cutting would damage both hands.

Can doctor find out if injury is a result of SI?

This situation is really hard. I am not a good pianist, barely solid, but lately i was improving fast and i could play some nice pieces (Easier Chopin etudes etc.) and beside, piano is the only way to express myself. :( Now, when i cannot play i cant "vent" because i don't know any other ways. Thankfully im not depressed right now, otherwise I would probaly start cutting my legs again.

Ps: James, do you play the instrument too? :)
  5. sd-239192

sd-239192 Well-Known Member

its all too easy to damage muscles when cutting, trust me i know, as a matter of fact as soon as you pass through the skin and fat you hit muscles... so really unless you only just break skin you will always be doing minor muscle damage
  6. Wahajabid3

Wahajabid3 New Member

ya i just love the way deep cuts feel.
    i have had had some minor muscle damage on my left wrist, i ended up going to the hospital, it sucked.
    the first thing i did when i got home was od on aspirine. but when i got off i started to cut my self again
    cause it feelllssssssss sssssssssssooooooooooo goood :)
  7. hardcore

hardcore Well-Known Member

crap, I love cutting but I dont want to damage muscles. How deep is deep. If the skin splits and there is a v shape instead of just a line does that mean I am damaging the muscle? I only started two weeks ago.
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Any cutting that breaks through the skin will damage muscle, but to varying degrees. If you cut, you stand a chance of hurting yourself... But you probably won't in just one or a couple cuts. The problem is repetitive strains over long periods of time.
  9. Ash7614

Ash7614 Active Member

It's possible that if you cut deep enough to nip the tendon that it's tearing gradually over time the more you play which may be why you've only started feeling it now.

might be worth getting a scan if you're worried about it
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.