Is it possible to recover?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by *dilligaf*, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Ok, so I haven't self harmed in 79 days,

Do you think it is ever really possible to "recover" from this addiction?
    And if so, how long do you think you have to go before you can say you are free from it??

2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I have a friend who is 47 years old, hasn't self harmed for 10 years but still gets the urges. I guess it's like any other addiction? Maybe down the line you still get urges and it can be easy to fall into the trap again. :dunno: I guess it depends on the person, too.

3. danni

danni Chat Buddy

i agree with res, its like my step dad he quit smoking for 15 years but he still have's some urges from time to time :hug:

4. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

thanks res and danni :hug: you both. guess I am stuck with this then eh :sad:

5. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

It’s possible to stop but most people still have urges. I read a book about someone who use to cut then was able to quit and has never done it sense but she still gets urges. Once I asked a psychologist what the chances were of someone who recovers going back to it. He said there’s always that possibility. He said it’s like him and smoking. He quit but he could go back to it and there are times when he wants to but it’s about learning to fight the urges.

6. sui caedere

sui caedere Well-Known Member

I stoped for 14 years at times i wanted too but now i started doing it again.

it seems when things go wrong in a bad way i go right back to cutting.

7. Jinxed

Jinxed Member

I too stopped for a few years and then returned to self harm. I think like any addiction until you find and resolve the cause of the issue it will always be with you, and even then the urges will be there at times of turmoil.

8. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

:sad:

thanks for the replies eeryone :hug:

9. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

At least it's a cheap addiction.. :laugh:

10. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

You are amazing Sam! Stay strong & Stay safe!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.