Is it right to leave someone because you have Borderline Personality Disorder?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by clairedelune, Mar 29, 2014.

1. clairedelune

clairedelune Well-Known Member

My partner just broke up with me. I know I've been too much. We fight a lot because I get easily angry and tend to have lots of mood swings. I know we still have feelings for one another but it just doesn't seem right anymore.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

If it is harming him your partner needs to take care of himself and perhaps with therapy you can get control of your mood swings and get back together it is right to break up if you are both only harming each other taking a break may just help both of you
  3. Lazarus102

Lazarus102 Member

If you want any relationship to work out then you need to learn to focus that anger and not direct it at your partner. Some relationships can remain healthy if you find something that you can be mutually angry about(politics, religion, bad drivers .etc) but if you're ripin his head off everytime you have a mood swing then I can see that not working so well.
  4. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

An empowering question for you to ponder: "What must it be like to live with me?" will help you to see things more from his perspective, which will cause him to feel loved - which is what relationships are all about, a 2-way transfer. Relationships tend to break up when the dynamics in the transfer get lop-sided/sabotaged etc. All the best :)
  5. no, it's not ok. I have BPD myself but same as I date people with disability's and things that I myself don't particularly enjoy, I accept it as when you love someone you accept the bad with the good.
    It's hard enough handling yourself and handing someone that does not accept and support you.
    a little bit more understanding should of existed.
    Point is, he just does not love you.
    If he did, he wouldn't of broken up with you over this.